Fabric Softener as a Coolant Additive = Lower Temps

So, I was reading a post on another forum about a guy using
regualr laundry, “fabric softener” as a additive for cooler coolant temps. This person who posted races circle track and claims that his car runs consistantly 10-20 degrees cooler using good 'ol fabric softener mixed in with the straight water. He claims that the fabric softener has the same properties as, “Water Wetter”, ect. Its a soap that actually makes water…wetter, and allowing it to wick away heat better.
SO, my question is…Does it really work? I was going to try running it in my intercooler setup to see if it runs any cooler (since there’s no gaskets or seals or any detrimental parts that would case any damage after prolonged use)
Im also curious as to what the long term effects would be of using the fabric softener…its not designed to be used in an automobile (esp. on that is driven a lot) So, will it eat away or make gaskets, hoses, metals brittle or make small parts of rummber/gasket fall off and get stuck in the rad.? Will, it break down to the point where its not effective for lower temps anymore?

Any insight or personal experience would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks!!

Soaps are surfactants, which makes water “wetter”…

Though I don’t imagine that the detergent properties would be great for gaskets & seals, off hand.

we use coolant at work when we drill, tap and cut (machine shop)

Now the coolant that we use is based on animal fats (tallow)

Fabric softener is made from animal fats (tallow)

im seeing a conection

your motor would smell great :lol:

I was just gonna say that. You’d be “April Fresh” running down the track.

And if the fabric softener gunks things up, you can always use this to clean it out again…

Just a reminder - this is not Off Topic.

Huh?

Well, I dont have any profression controlled testing here but, taking a temp. reading today the temps were approx. 10degrees cooler. Drove the same way, outside temp is pretty much the same. I dunno. I wish we had some real proof…some real testing.

BTW, I used some cheap fabric softener “refill” milk carton little thing I bought for $1.** at the local Dollar General. I wonder if the more expensive fab. softeners would work better? ARGGHH, I hate variables.

If nothing else your internals will smell enchanting and be softer. :gotme:

this would be a great idea if you had a leaking heater core, at least your interior would smell fresh and have less static cling

just buy “Water Wetter” that is made for this purpose and stop dreaming up dumb shit

fwiw ive heard that by adding acetone itll do the same thing because it reduces the surface tension in the water and helps it be less viscous… im not really sure and im not sure you wanna add acetone to your radiator lol but i have heard about it

:word:

:bigclap:

The one instructor I had at Wyotech used a drop or two of liquid soap in his circle track car for better cooling. Water wetter is just soapy water.

i did this also in my Starion. worked damned good along with my direct drive fan. Thing never ever ever went past 1/3

a drop or 2 of soap? thats all it takes? you’d think it’d take more then a drop or 2 of anything to make a difference

you don’t have kids do you? :wink:

soap is a surfactant… it allows the water to be “wetter”, but you don’t want to make suds out of it.

This may work, but, look at cost and what you get. When you buy a thing of watter wetter, if you shake it up, it does not suds up. It also is a large size, like 6 - 8 oz that you can put in, depending on your application.

If you are using soap, you put in 2 drops, I don’t see that being as effective. Water wetter is like 7 bucks, soap is like 3 dollars. Do you really want to experiment with something that is a backyard trick to save 4 dollars, or do you want to get something thats been proven over and over.

I’m all for saving money and being creative, but at a certain point, re-inventing the wheel seems silly. If you could run piss in your radiator because it has the same properties as coolant, I still wouldn’t do it.

–mark

:fry: