covering interior walls of garage

alright, i currently just have insulation on the walls of the garage, but want to put some type of paneling up to paint white to make it easier to clean in there and make it brighter. what do you guys use? i dont want to use drywall. i just want to nail something up and paint it. is bargain outlet the best place to go to? i need to get this done this week before i bring the new project home.:slight_smile:

On my Dad’s garage we used a bunch of 1/2" Waferboard that we got for free off Craigslist; seems to be the cheapest stuff around; but it worked awesome and looked good after a couple coats of paint.

I’ve used OSB on the old garage and the new (to me) garage. I’ve painted it white with gloss white paint. I does suck up a LOT of paint, but its robust and fairly cheap. 16’x24’ garage. It took about 30 sheets for about $210 for just the OSB, another $100 for paint and $20 for a box of screws.

I bought mine from Homedepot, its like 1 mile from my house, and B.O. is like 20 and i don’t have a truck… So i didn’t even bother looking there.

Pics

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/KENLUDE97/0307112038.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/KENLUDE97/0307112037a.jpg

Crappy cell pic
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/KENLUDE97/0315111947.jpg

I would go straight up plywood over OSB. less thought required if you want to hang something off the wall and it wont puff up if it gets wet.

If you paint it it will tolerate the occasional splash with water with no issue. I painted mine with 2 coats of Kilz and 2 coats of oil based exterior High gloss white.

Maybe so but for the same thickness its 2x more!

7/16 osb = $7.47 x 30 sheets = $224
15/32 Ply = $15.57 x 30 sheets = $467

(11/32) ply = $11.97 x 30 sheets = $360

yea thats true. I would paint a foot or so up the back side and all the edges real good first as a precautionary measure if you go OSB.

but its not a tree fort and if I am doing a garage its hopefully for the long haul so I would think of it as more of an investment.

I had my other garage in OSB for only 3yrs before i sold it… But it never showed any signs of weather damage… But it would be easy and cheap enough to replace down the road if needed. I agree that its a investment. As long as the owner is happy :slight_smile:

not wanting to do osb. i hate that shit.

i was looking to do some type of paneling, or 1/4" plywood type stuff. something along those lines.

Ok well, 1/4 paneling would work fine, not that strong. But its all good if that is what you want :slight_smile:

I managed to find some nice older peg board on Craigslist that I am going to use in my garage after i paint it for some protection. Can’t beat the price of $10 for 15 full and some partial 4x8 sheets. Probably not great if i wasn’t painting it, but very useful in the end.

T-111 cheap and looks decent with paint.

thanks for the replies. honestly i dont know what t-111 is, but i got this 1/4" plywood stuff that had a pretty smooth finish from bargain outlet. its 11 bucks a sheet. not worried about thickness or anything, i know where studs are if i need to hang something. plus i already have insulation so it stays ok in there. started hanging it last night, looks pretty good. need to finish and get paint on it so i can build my new workbench hopefully by friday.

t-111 is the plywood that looks like its made out of vertical pieces.

its usually used on barn exteriors, sometimes houses if you go far enough into the sticks

http://www.industrialplywood.com/images_swatches/ip_swatch_t111.jpg

gotcha, thats actually what we used for the exterior walls of the garage. all painted up it actually looks pretty nice.

Lets see some progress pics.
I think I actually saw what could have been your truck parked by the street with a cover over it? At least looked like a slammed green pick up with polished wheels. lol

ill have to post some pics after everything is painted and the workbench is in.

as for the truck, wasent mine. mine is always kept in the garage unless its sunny out during the day. i dont even own a cover lol. was the truck on shawnee road? ive had like 20 people tell me that theres a teal green s10 on xtreme wheels that looks almost identical to mine when i first lowered it and still had the original front end on it lol.

in for pics.

currently overhauling my garage.

figured i would update this…

my garage is roughly a 3.5 car garage, 2 front bays, and a 1.5 bay in the back that is perpendicular to the front. the back 1.5 is the only section that i am working on at the moment, and i am doing this as it will be where i build my new project('47 ford streetrod. will post a thread on it this week) i have only gotten one section done, but heres whats done. all walls are insulated, and then i used the thin plywood(i believe underlay for hardwood flooring) to cover the walls. 4x8 sheet is 11 bucks at bargain outlet. i also made a new workbench with shelves underneath that is 8’x30". painted everything white, 2 coats. starting putting stuff back on the walls, still need to put plywood on for the workbench. will use 3/8" or so for the shelves underneath and then 3/4" with a smooth finish for the top. i usually weld on the floor so no worries for needing a steel top. after the workbench is finished(hopefully tonight) i will put everything in there and move my toolbox over and start on the other side of the garage. then hopefully will be done by this weekend with the rest as i should have the new project stripped down enough to bring the cab in on casters, and store away parts in the upstairs. the snowmobile will get covered and put against the wall next to my toolbox.

ignore the schoolchair. believe it or not, its perfect height for working on stuff, lol.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/reconrider25/0416112201.jpg

run a bead of caulk between the floor and the trim to help prevent any water that might find it way over there. ya never know…

advice noted. we had put a bunch of liquid nails down on the slab before putting the walls up and putting anchors in, but putting a little extra in isnt a bad idea. will have to do that after i finish putting the other walls up. thanks