Finishing a garage

So one of the homes I am looking at has a great 2.5 car garage with a workshop, and it is attached to the sunroom of the house, so heat is a possibility, but it is completely unfinished, just 2 x 4’s and plywood. That would be one of my first projects to put up insulation and sheet rock, and get it to be a nice little work space to store the cars, and have a little, less finished area for the workshop.

My question, how much different would it be finishing a garage than the inside of a house. I would assume that the bottom of the walls where it meets the cement floor could get some water on it from snow on the car tires, or whatever. So, what would I want to use here.

Basically, what would be the best way to insulate and drywall a garage, so if it got some water on it, it would not destroy itself.

–mark

the foundation/slab probably comes up at least 6" from the floor on the sides. If there’s that much water in there, something’s wrong.

it can be finished like a normal garage, that’s how mine was done… but it’s not the ideal since you don’t want to get the walls wet.

I’m going to have a nice little garage project once I get settled in my place.

Insulating is the same.

Drywall is the same.

What I would do to protect the bottom of the walls from water is to keep the drywall up 3-4" from the floor and then after drywall is finished, go around the bottom of the garage with 4x8 sheets of plastic paneling that you can find at depot or lowes. Not the cheap method but would work well.

Not a bad idea. Any pictures of said 4x8 plastic paneling?

I used OSB in my garage instead of drywall. I can hang anything on it, anywhere I want, and the OSB holds up to flying hammers/wrenches/etc when the frustration gets the best of me.

I sealed all the edges and painted it white, and you can’t even tell until you really get close and look.

There’s pics here, however none yet posted of the finished product.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78348

you can use that synthetic wood for decks along the bottom. that trex stuff. caulk it to the floor and caulk it to the bottom of the drywall.

youll want to attach a board behind the trex though to provide some place for the drywall bottom to be anchored to so it isnt just hanging there waiting to be broken. screw through the trex into a board and then screw through the drywall into the same board. does that make sense? its hard to explain.

i have other friends that used OSB as well. one of my buddies used metal roof/siding sheets for the first 4 feet from the floor cause he had leftover from the outside and then OSB from there to the ceiling.

where you looking for houses?

Brian

Looking in Scottsville, Henrietta, and Chili.

I looked at this house today, and it was “decent” at best. It has potential, but it is a 50’s modular home, so the walls aren’t 3 3/4" wide, they are very narrow, so I don’t know how upgrades would even be possible without re-framing the whole wall…

Not worth it !