cracked head -yamaha

i believe i cracked the head on the 92 blaster last nite:(

couple of questions…

1- what causes a crack in the head between the cooling fins?
2- who makes big bore kits at a reasonable price?

im really unsure of why it happened thou:rant:

i’ve never heard of a head cracking, what makes you think it cracked? and i just had a big bore done by eric gorr on a 02 rm250 it’s now a 265. it was about 400 bucks for the bore and replating and a piston and gaskets. i’ve had 2 other cylinders done by him also.

send this guy an email and ask him for pricing. ericgorr@hotmail.com

he owns this -> http://ericgorr.com/

also try moto 814. he only does 2 strokes. not sure if he does atv’s he is in the process of a move, i don’t think he was taking business till middle of dec. i’ll be sending him my cylinder for my 07 rm 250 soon for a big bore and porting http://www.moto814.com/

i heard a small pop then the bike started losing power and rpms

eventually it stalled and wouldn’t restart.as i was kicking it over it appeared that about kick 15 there was liquid being forced out of the head as a wet line in the head before it would evaporate.

i really need to look at this closer

probly either that or the studs pulling out (came un-seated). that happened on my Quadracer 250 when i raced it, awhile back. if so, that might be some big money cause the coolant can seep down into the low end and smoke your crank bearings.

edit: nevermind. blasters are air-cooled

I’d guess that it was a manufacturing defect. Air pocket in aluminum and stressing it caused it to crack the surrounging material?

Blasters NEVER die!!! I used to have one, it was so much fun… I beat the piss out of it, ran damn near straight gas in it one time, that bitch kept on truckin!

http://pubat0.pennswoods.net/cgi-bin/classifieds/index.cgi?mode=view&viewcategory=Motorcycles_ATVs&adindex=26724319047

nice post above- i guess blasters don’t die after all

well i cant locate or duplicate the cracked head theory so

why will it not start after those funny circumstances:(

i have spark to the plug
i guess make sure gas is getting there and clean it up real good before a tear down inspection

is it siezed? if the studs in the head unseat, then the head isnt torqued and can seize it or cause it to not start. its unlikely but possible. like i said, it happened out of nowhere on my 250R. the only way i knew was cause coolant seeped out (and into the cyl) since youre air-cooled it wont seep, but it would still mess things up.

Was it cold out? Did you turn it on and gas the shit out of it? If your head is really cold and then you start it, it will get really hot on the inside while still being cold on the outisde and sometimes the delta T will cause bad things.

it’s not seized at all i don’t even think the compression is out of whack

btw i have a compression tester what should it be?

it was 28 degrees out side and i rode it for about 20-30 min before this happened

ive been riding it in cold snowy weather ever since i bought it in 2005 an never had a problem

your not the greatest at descibing sounds. was it a metal like pop, was it a pop out the exhaust, a pop out the airbox? could be a foled pludg again. the liquid you may be seeing could be fuel from a flooded motor being forced out a slightly loose sparkplug or ? or?

it was a metal pop- and ill try a new spark plug

wait so is it cracked or not? if the heads cracked between the fins what would a new plug do?

did you hit a puddle or water or anything when this happened?

scratch all that i re-read. any more news?

i cant duplicate the head thing- no water but lots of snow-i have to try the plug and take a compression test once i find out what that number should be

blasters compression stock is 125-130psi, this is for sea level though so yours might be off but as long as its close. remember to hold the throttle when you kick it

thanks!

remember this was a cold day there was a small pop-started losing rpms and
power rode it for a 1/4 mile and it died with no restart

well replaced the plug no start

gas on the plug was minimal so i did a compression check

compression was 40- yes 40

so what causes compression to be that low ?

and what to do next to fix this ???
or who fixes these??

COMPRESSION SHOws 40 with the throttle open

what is the normal cause of that?

what do look for and do next?

i have verified spark and a new plug but no start condition anyway.
although i cant tell you if the spark im seeing is enough. ALSO there is minimal gas on the plug so thats inconclusive.

ps
anybody that wants to see/lend a hand and is around irwin- let me know-

i don’t have a trailer or tow vehicle.

if the compression is 40 no need in looking at anything else or worrying about the spark or amount of fuel. time to tear into it.