cusco cage question

i was looking at getting one of these for my 89 180sx, but everytime i look at them online to order its says only for 91-93 or newer or whatever… i thought the shell was basically the same 89 through 98… am i missing something?

something like this… but says on 91 - 93

http://www.nyxracing.com/images/cageg.gif

woops ment to put this in technical…

Depends on what site you go to… Its pretty much the same though… The only thing I noticed between models is that on some HB’s, the rear seatbelts have some plastic “pod” thing on the C-pillar. My first HB had a seatbelt that was bolted to the trunk or something, and the lap-belt part that it connected to - to become a 3-point belt was the one that retracted :S

Shouldint be a problem. All s13’s are the same. Regardless of year.

Though I have heard stories about it being a bitch to get the cage in … hmm

better cages (bolt in) can be made locally with better materials/design for comparative money…

but I also think there was a cusco cage floating around this board FS a while back.

^^^

There was a thread on Zilvia regarding Cusco cages versus custom-made cages.

The argument was whether or not Cusco cages are actually ‘safe’.

The thing is most of us here aren’t pro-drifters. Some of us here just want a cage for peace of mind and safety. I mean, $1000 is inexpensive insurance if it can greatly reduce the likelihood of death due to a roll-over. Sure the Cusco one doesn’t have side-impact protection, but that’s inconvenient for a daily driver, and even if you wanted to, it shouldn’t cost too much for a shop to weld one in to one of the Cusco kits.

It also does not have gussets or proper bracing of the main hoop or rear stays. The front pillars are made in an illegal fashion since they must be 100% straight and not bent to follow the dash profile.

Cusco Cages are something like 1.25’’ x .070’’ which will not pass tech inspection for Rally, Road Racing or 1/4 Mile Dragging. Minimum allowance is 1.50’’ x .125’’ for vehicles weighting under 2400lbs… Since a 240 is over that, you are legally required to use a 2.00’’ x .125’’ Main Hoop with 1.75’’ x .125’’ else where.

The ONLY standards a Cusco Cage passes is for D1/Drift Nation because they have no proper/strict standards to begin with. And they are 100% illegal to be used on a daily driver since the only way a Cage is legit in a Daily Driver is if the MTO signs off on it and in order to do that you require tech certification from the guys @ mosport for example and they will not approve a Cusco Cage.

dayum jedi took that one in one k.o.

If i were you, i wouldnt bother with the 8 point. I would just get the “half-cage” 4 point.

^ Tbh I agree with the others in the thread…

Even jsut for a roll bar/4-point half-cage, I’d get a weld in, or at least a locally built bolt in, at least then you can get it material that’s more useful than just ‘pretty’… Like Jedi said, .120 wall is basically the accepted minimum standard for a roll cage of any sort, and personally I wouldn’t trust anything less. You could probably crush that tubing on the Cusco cage with a bench vice… Plus a proper cage built locally will probably be cheaper.

yaa that cusco cage doesn’t look to impressive, that being said are how legal ar they and how much would they cost, (custom/premade) and would i still be able to have 4 ppl in the car and use my hatch like a truck

They aren’t street legal…

Kind of use the hatch, no you can’t have rear passengers, and they’re street legal if they’re a certified cage, and your insco knows about it. There’s at least one person around on these boards with a legally, insurance-knows-about-it, caged street-legal car.

Sounds like you just want a cage for cool factor. I’d spend the money elsewhere.

A cage will also significantly increase chassis rigidity. Sure it won’t save your life in a rollover but it would help to reduce the extra flex that you get - especially in a hatch. I thought about a 4pt cusco for my new car just to help stiffen it up. In my old hatch when I’d have to really angle up a driveway you could feel the chassis flex and hear the hatch seals making noise.

I’ve decided if I get a cage its going to be a weld in, might as well do it right, right?

the cage that came with my car is a 7 point bolt-in cusco style. Not sure on the size but it also bends along with the dash. As far as quality and actual safety go, obviously the cage in dave brigg’s s14 would be better overall. However the cusco cage will still help in a rollover. As far as side impact you could always weld side bars in.

As far as my experiance with the cage and police. I got pulled over twice when i had my temp plate and the cops never said a word about the cage or anything else with the car. Both times they were actually interested in the car and asked a few questions, both saying “not to street race or drift”. Then went on there way. Also my insurance company saw pics of the interior and cage in the appraisal and never even brought it up at all. Though as far as it being 100% MTO legal, im not sure

Heres a pic from the zilvia thread of a result of a rollover with a cusco cage

actually no i do not want it for the “cool” factor don’t give a fuck bout that, i have a list of things i want to do 1st brakes, stiffing(rollcage), then suspension, and last engine.

i want a cage in the car for the safety and would make the very rigid just need some more information

i wasnt necessarily looking for the 8 point just to give an idea of why it wouldnt fit…

4 point would be ideal… what shops are around locally to do this any suggestions?
i wanted something like this ideally…

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Jacco%20Willemsen/Car%20Features/Risky%20180sx/IMG_2798r.jpg

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Jacco%20Willemsen/Car%20Features/Risky%20180sx/IMG_2797r.jpg

I’ve got a complete 4 pt cage sitting at the shop made from 1.50’’ x .125’’ DOM with the main hoop properly braced. Its completely mandrel bent and 100% bolt in and made to targa specs. If you wanted it welded in solid thou than that is also doable.

Feel free to send me a PM if your interested or have any questions.

I’ve got a complete 4 pt cage sitting at the shop made from 1.50’’ x .125’’ DOM with the main hoop properly braced. Its completely mandrel bent and 100% bolt in and made to targa specs. If you wanted it welded in solid thou than that is also doable.

Feel free to send me a PM if your interested or have any questions.

is there a cage or something that just follows the existing pillars and basically reienforces them without being intrusive. cause the one above looks alright but there’s no front pillar bars.

The 4-point cage is nice, but from personal experience, I wouldn’t mind spending the extra money on a 6 or 7 point… Our A-pillars are weak as hell…