Custom clear bra install. Where?

I need a custom clear bra for the front bumper on my S. Are there any places around here that do such work?

TIA.

I’d imagine you can order the film, then take it to Chaz @ FirstBass. It installs exactly like window tint I believe. That’s what you are referring to right?

don’t car bra’s fuck up the paint more than leaving it off?

I know the Audi dealership has someone that they refer new customers to (Day audi in murrysville) :dunno: Might wanna give them a call if First Bass can’t do it…

I don’t think the clear bras fvck up paint that is cured. However, I have a girlfriend who got a clear bra put on a freshly painted bumper, and the paint lifted right off.

It seems that every car that I have seen that has had a bra on it looks worse than a few little chips from rocks and shit. I saw a car that, because the bra was on so long and the paint didn’t fade like the rest, looked like it still had it on when he took it off.

The paint doesn’t fade like the rest… but where most people I’ve seen have goe wrong is not taking the bra off when they wash and wax the vehicle. Then dirt and yuck sits under it forever.

car bra and clear bra are two different things. The clear bra is like a clear 10mil plastic film that adheres to the paint. Supposedly it can even be buffed and polished like paint and because it is so thin you aren’t supposed to even notice it is there.

I would be concerned with it yellowing though, or maybe the paint fading at a different rate so it might be worth it to do the whole car. Watch the corners of stuff too as I’ve heard it can lift if not applied correctly. But this was 4 or 5 years ago too. Maybe things have gotten better.

i think temp clear film for road trips would be a good idea… what color os the car its going on?

From what I’ve read the clear bra material has been improved over the years. Plus, 3M offers a 5 year warranty against yellowing. I’m not worried about the yellowing or the fit/finish as long as I can find a capable person.

what color os the car its going on?

VVVVV Pearl White car seen below VVVVV

chips dont really show up on white. i think you’re better off without it. its more a hassle than i think it is worth it.

The bumper has been painted 3 times (for various reasons) and each time it had numerous chips which bothered the hell out of me. It’s at paint as we speak and I want the clear bra … once it’s safe to install after proper curing time of course.

I actually just found a pre-cut kit so all is well. Thanks for the help all ya’ll.

does that mean that you are going to install yourself? Good luck and let us know how it goes! I’ve always been interested in the product, but have always worried about yellowing and removal if necessary.

chris

i think thats the price you pay having a car you drive instead of a garage queen… things like chips will happen. good luck

I will have it installed since I don’t trust myself. :slight_smile:
The company I found offers a lifetime warranty.

i think thats the price you pay having a car you drive instead of a garage queen… things like chips will happen. good luck

Plus, repainted parts are never as durable as factory paint jobs. Thank you.

I think it’s a good idea. If I didn’t already have some chips, I’d have it done too.

dude i put one on a zr2 blazer nd it looked good super easy to put on the blazer hd cowl induction hood nd i hd to take it on nd off couple times but t looked as good as the paint u could hardley tell i can get them from llumar but they are big money

Hope you get a good job done, Eric. I know a few Audi peeps in the Burgh who are looking to get this done. I have not seen a clear bra job personally that didn’t look bad close up. There were tons of them at PVGP… serious cars, too, like some high-end Posches, and they looked like poo. Not from far away, but up close, the edges peel a little and I think chips look worse on the clear bra. Almost look like tears in the paint.
Just be careful with it.
I prefer painter’s tape on any trip or track… lol.
I’m getting a full body re-paint this fall so I’ll be worried about that stuff next spring when the car comes out of storage, too.

Thanks. I think we all know re-sprays are not as durable as original factory paint jobs. The bumper has been painted three times and each time it accumulated chips like crazy. I’ll be fine if the clear bra has a few imperfections because it’s still better than the old “surface of the moon” look.