Darkest Legal Tint?

Tryed searching but couldn’t find a previous thread that answers my question, I would check the DMV site but I hate it with a pation and probley wont kind what i’m looking for.

So whats the darkest legal tint I can have in Suffolk county (or New York)?

For Cars: 70% on all side windows, yes this includes back doors and quarter windows.
You can go as dark as you want on the back window.

For Trucks, SUV’s, Vans: 70% on front two doors, as dark as you want on the rest.

aka: no tint is legal since your average window already only lets 75% of light through. adding anything over that would drop it below 70%… the dmv answers page has that info. it’s state not county law.

i have 5% all the way around and never get looked at and yes what joyride2k said is correct

I rock 20% on my doors. No problems

i had 20% on my jetta and have received many many tickets for it.

west seneca and OP cops both told me the same thing. 70% is the limit, we usually allow up to 30-40% without writing a ticket for it.

Ive read the NYS law on tint… it implies that if you have side view mirrors… anything behind the driver can be spray painted for all they care. If no side view mirrors, then tint can be no darker than 70%.

Someone post the law… Im too lazy.

70% on driver and passenger door. This has been covered a million times. SEARCH is your friend.

from teh DMV website…

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

If the vehicle is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible, the rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

If a medical condition requires a person to have tinted vehicle windows, they can request an exemption from the law. Request form MV-80W from a DMV Office or Call Center.

i had my tints for 3 years, 20%on the driver and passanger windows and 5% in the rear. First year no problems, second year got 2 tickets. worst part was they were 5 days apart. But other then that i havent had any problems, been let off a few times. but cops really dont seem to care.

When I got busted for my tint the Amherst cop told me that any window on the car that can be rolled down HAS to be legal or they can give you a ticket.