decent welder??

hey guys, so i dont know anything about welding right now. ive been eager to learn and would love to experiment a little bit. the only problem is that like many things, i am limited by cost. i wanna buy a welder but i want something cheap. i found some cheap ones at harbor frieght, like this for example. i would not be using it for much cept for exhaust and some other small things. if not that one, then what would be necessary?

what are you lookin to spend?

I LOVE my lincoln Electric Handi Mig, its 110v and can weld exhaust piping easily, ive done 3 turbokits with this thing and its really nice and makes clean welds when i take my time

i didnt really wanna spend more then a few hundred. lincolns are expensive arent they?

get a craftsman gas-less to learn on

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00920580000&cat=Electrical+Shop&subcat=Welders

or this one

that sure isnt a bad deal at all. im gonna look into picking up that package. good find

how about the one i linked to above in the first post?

Stay away from flux core welders. you want one that uses a seperate gas (argon mix) bottle. they weld that much better

your better off getting a lincokd from a lincoln dealer. Even an ebay dealer is better price wise. You deffinatly get what you pay for in a welder. Buy a cheap one, and its no better than a batter charger with a wire feeder.

yeah. don’t get flux core… and i’d really try to get a 220v one if you can. get a used one…

i dont have a 220v plug in my garage so thats kinda out of the quiestion, the one that maxima98se posted is so far the best looking one to me. is welding without the gas really that bad? gimmie some more insight and tell me why

this is what i have

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=LCN-K2185-1&N=700+-121861+115&autoview=sku

thats the same as the one maxima98se suggested, the one im leaning towards

i have it, works great, put 3 rolls of wire through it already

word. i learned on a lincoln gas 220V unit. when it comes time for me to buy, thats the route i’m going

also look inot a hobalt, they make great (some say best) smaller garage DIY type units. Yopu better off going used and getter a better machine then a POS harbofright junk. The 1st time you use a desent one your never use your POS on agian.

Tnick VVV FTL or is it FTW :snky:

lol, did you get banned too? or is that from my screen shot?

wait, nope- heres mine. lol. fuck roclife, and fuck cbass

Well here is my take on MIG welders having lots of experience in this process. Don’t cheap out and get a habour freight piece of shit. Low quality(cheap) machines have piss poor ARC quality and shitty duty cycles. You will be better off buying a high quality machine new, it will last you forever, or check out the paper because many people start with a 110v machine then upgrade to a 220v machine once they outgrow their small machine

Two of the large names in the industry are Lincoln Electric and Miller. Both make excellent machines. I am a Miller person but Lincolns are great also. It comes down to weather you like Miller Blue or Lincoln Red.

Hobarts are made by Miller. They are the same company just think of the Miller as the Cadillac and the Hobart is the Chevy. The Miller just has more bells and whistles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-HANDLER-140-MIG-WELDER-NEW-WITH-CART-500505_W0QQitemZ130013726945QQihZ003QQcategoryZ113743QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also Rodgers welding supply on Filmore has great prices and will usually meet internet prices if you give them the chance.