Did 142mph at Charlotte Motorspeedway yesterday...

I’m sure 99% of you don’t care cause its NASCAR and you all think its :gay2: but it was awesome.

I had the opportunity to drive in the Richard Petty Experience through our sponsorship of the new #26 IRWIN Tools Nextel Cup car. It lasted about 4 hours and was some short classroom training, followed by a couple instructional laps around the track, then 8 laps by yourself pacing behind an instructor so the less experienced drivers can hit their marks.

They want you to stay about 3-5 car lengths back and if you do well then they gradually go faster and faster taking you up to about 140mph for the “rookie” level we did. You literally get in a retired NASCAR, roll off pit road, get into 4th about half way down the back stretch and go to it.

The best part was passing to other cars in turn 3 which is the tighest turn at that track. Normally they pace two sets of cars around the track so you dont pass, but we were lapping much faster than the other group and had to pass them up high, and it was fucking awesome.

The scariest part was not knowing the threshold of the car in the turns. We were doing about 130 in the turns and even though I was probably no where near getting the back end loose, it sure felt like it could go whenever.

You can all talk smack, but until you get out there you have no idea.

In closing, for the $550 it costs it is quite a thrill but expensive. For the $0 it cost me, it was a hell of a time. Next level is 20 laps, 165mph, and about $1g. :eek:

This guy was pissing me off, so I tied his sleeves behind his back.

cliff notes: Drove a NASCAR and it fucking ruled.

thats sweet dude. turns at 130 must be pretty awesome.

Big T-Up.

I hate nascar, but there is nothing at all wrong with getting a shot at the track in a real car. That sounds like a fun weekend (especially for free). I’m sure You were no where near breaking the rubber loose, but it had to be a kickass ride either way.

Now, go skydiving and tell me which is better :stuck_out_tongue:

-Nick

Thats fucking sick, but i’d do it.

God could you possibly get any MORE freebees at work???

Join me in spring. Frontier skydivers, about 30 minutes outside of the city. ~$150 iirc.

back on-topic :slight_smile:

why yes i could. :wink: I believe they have planned a “luxury sports car driving experience” or so i’ve been told for July at Indy. Lotus, Ferrari, viper, etc. on a road course. It’s nice when marketing companies suck your ballz so you continue to use their services.

Don’t worry Spence, I’ll get you and the boyz out at the track in 2006.

wow… you definatly have a fucking sweet job… can i have it?

that’s hardcore… what do you do?

seriously though - schwing!

You suck… I am Jealous :banghead:

Must have been fun as hell.

ive gone faster than that on public roads. ha!

Not in a tube chassis 1ton 800hp car setup for 200mph turns… You evil street racer

Dear NASCAR jock’s, i dunno is those figures are right, plz dont lynch me.

:tup:
a friend of my gf has been there a bunch of times (rich bastard). he said it was a hell of a rush.

i was going to toss some vw hate in here, but its just too early, and im not feeling so hot today.

Thanks.

I am the event marketing manager for the motorsports division of IRWIN tools.

Basically, I handle all at-track marketing and Roush racing relations for IRWIN. IRWIN and our sister company Sharpie, co-sponsor what was the #97 Kurt Busch car and is now the #26 Jamie McMurray car. (along with crown royal).

This year we went to 22 races and next year we plan to visit 20.

2006 IRWIN paint scheme

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c136/jxaxexgxexr/MISC/Irwin263DIIresized.jpg

oh yeah, Buy IRWIN tools… :wink:

you’re slipping…

oh, and Newman, most of us on here have gone faster than that, its not the point. Lets try to not make a thread about you, for once.

you did spell lynching right this time nick :wink:

and they’re 1 3/4 ton :smiley:

I was waiting for that! Sounds like it was a great time. My girlfriend used to work at disneyworld and Petty runs a school there as well. I could have gotten a discount but still cant afford that much look for a few laps.

they’re really that heavy?
WTF?
All aluminum & tubing?

oooo. burn

:tup: I drove my gtp around Charlotte a few years back. It was during a car show so I couldnt go faster than 20mph but it was a neat experience. I even stoped in the middle of a turn, opened my door and fell out of the car. Its amazing how steep the bank is