Diesel Chevrolet Cruze coming to U.S.

The dago bro that lives across the street from me has a black cruze. I think it looks pretty cool/classy. He does have it all murdered out of course, and thinks his rebadged cavi is a sports car… As a DD I approve. Although I don’t see it getting more than 35mpg mixed driving.

I would totally buy a diesel Cruze for a DD.

-2.0-liter turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine that boasts 148 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque, with full twist coming on at just 2,000 rpm. What’s more, the common-rail, direct-injection diesel features an overboost function that allows the engine to deliver up to 280 lb-ft of torque for 10 seconds at a time.
-42 mpg (highway) bolted to its six-speed automatic transmission. More importantly, the auto transmission Cruze Diesel matches its main competition, the Volkswagen Jetta TDI, in highway fuel economy. The Cruze 2.0 TD (as it will be badged) can also handle up to 20 percent biodiesel (B20), whereas the Jetta is rated only for B5.
-$25,695, plus an $810 destination fee. That marks a $2,115 premium over a loaded Cruze LTZ Auto and $2,640 more than the Jetta TDI, though the MSRP will net you a leather interior, 17-inch alloy wheels and an Aero Performance Package

Why no 50 mpg+ manual tranny?

I think its cool to see more diesel offerings coming our way :tup:

I agree, I know, I personally will probably never own a Mazda6 diesel or a chevy cruise diesel. But having more cars come here with diesel will give VW some competition, maybe lower the cost of resale and make it a more reasonable car. I would love to see more of my friends and family be able to enjoy the benefits from a diesel.

I really don’t understand that

Same mileage as Cruze ECO, ~$5K more expensive, less space than Jetta TDI but gets the same mileage and is more expensive.

Its a great idea, but they did not execute it well.

will return 46 miles per gallon highway based on Environmental Protection Agency estimates, besting original projections by some 4 mpg. As GM points out, the figure is better than “any non-hybrid passenger car in America,” including the Volkswagen Passat TDI at 43 mpg and the Volkswagen Jetta TDI at 42 mpg

We have one here if anyone is interested in driving it. I did and it seems like it’s no different but fuel mileage is good and torque is great.

BUT DOES IT ROLL COAL?

I would be interested in a test drive. Maybe I missed it but what kind of MPG were these expected to get? Any idea on real world MPG?

you can only get the diesel in automatic? FAIL.

it is supposed to be like 717 miles per tank right? my wife has a 2012 cruze that is at about 37k…i’m considering seeing what the trade in would be to switch to the diesel…it might pay for itself with the amount of driving she does.

Good article for you:

Just like you can only get most cars in automatic now…

Thanks Ron

except you can get the cruze with a 6 speed manual paired with the gas motor… but not the diesel? how lame.

New 1.6D is quieter, offered in a manual and 52 HWY MPG

lets see how this goes