Difference between T2 & T3 Flanged Turbo

I’d like to know what the difference between the T2 and T3 flanged turbo’s.

I know the T3 has bigger AR but behind that…is there another fact that could make the T3 better than the T2 …is the T3 diameter bigger and make the flow better?

I’d like to buy a GT3071r and i have choice between those flange.

thanks in advance.

well a t3 wont bolt onto to a stock sr manifold, or a replacement sr manifold unless it has a t3 flange.

so buy the t2, or you’ll have a nice paperweight unless you have a t3 manifold.

Do some research before you impulse buy, especially on the 3071’s
t2/t3/t4 flanged turbos are all different and the main difference between them is how much they can flow on the turbine side, has nothing to do with thurbine A/R. A T2 backside can only flow so much exhaust gas before it becomes a restriction. You’ll notice any guys running really big numbers are running t4 flanged turbos, again it becomes a flow issue.

I don’t know what your plans are if you want to keep the stock manifold or stock turbo location, but both the t2 flanged 3071’s are junk, do a search on FA. If you are going to get a 3071 make sure it is a t3 flanged FOUR bolt 3" conical outlet with a 60mm wheel. You’ll be wasting your money if you buy any other 3071.

My plan was to run my megan racing manifold with the GT3071R T2 flanged to stay money wise.

But if there more gain with a T3 flanged turbo, ill go buy a full race or peakboost manifold.

My hp goal was a reliable 400whp without being in high boost range on the turbo. I think with that turbo i could reach that mark but I wasn’t sure if there lost of power with T2 flanged one. If you tell me that the T3 flanged turbo make more power, ill for sure go that way.

You can’t run a 3071 on a T2 manifold, the flanges are different. You will have to go to a T3 flanged manifold (the flange in question is the one that attaches the turbo to the exhaust manifold) to run that turbo.

Going to the 3071 will give you more power at the top end but hits later in the rpm range, as it will lag more. You have to consider that since it is an SR, I am presuming.

I know I can’t run T3 flanged turbo on T2 flanged manifold.

I was saying that I could get a T2 flanged GT3071R and I wanted to know which would be the best to get.

I wanted to know the difference between the two flange.

They are both different sizes… The t2 is quite a bit smaller than the T3. You’ll notice that on the T3 flanged turbo… it’s wider where it connects onto the manifold. The a/r and all that stuff does not really matter for a t2 or a t3 flanged turbo. T2 or T3 is pretty much the type of flange the turbo uses.

ok, thanks all. I got my answer =)

They make the 3071 in a t2 flange, that is why he started the thread, asking which route to go.

Going to the 3071 will give you more power at the top end but hits later in the rpm range, as it will lag more. You have to consider that since it is an SR, I am presuming.

What is this statement in comparison to???

You will not hit 400 with either of the t2 flanged 3071’s.
There are alot of threads on freshalloy about this, take a look at them, you will definately not want one of them. There are much better choices in a t2 flange than the 3071 if you don’t want to change over. IF however you make the switch to a t3 flanged manifold the 3071 will be a lovely choice as long as you buy the proper t3 3071 like I mentioned since there are many different turbines housings and wheels available. If you have any questions about this feel free to PM, I did alot of research on the whole 3071 thing before buying my turbo.

it’s very very VERY simple.

a T2 flange, is smaller than a T3 flange. A T2, and T3 are small than a T4 flange. They are all different from a Mitsu flange.

Thusly, no other type flange will bolt onto another type flange manifold without an adapter, or a cut a weld for the correct flange. It really doesn’t have to do much with the size and spec of turbo, as there are different sizes and spec turbo’s for all different types of flange.

hey cheif

size of the flange VERY VERY directly descirbes the performance of the turbo.

A 2871 .86 exhaust side T25 will spool MUCH MUCH faster and be MUCH MUCH more restrictive than a T3 2871 with a .86 exhaust side (if it existed - there is only a .4 and .6 or something like that in a the T3 2871)

A/R is area over radius. The area of a T3 is way larger than the area of a T25, so the same a/r would indicate a lot less restriction and a lot more flow - a totally differently performing turbo.

You will not hit 400 with either of the t2 flanged 3071’s.
There are alot of threads on freshalloy about this, take a look at them, you will definately not want one of them. There are much better choices in a t2 flange than the 3071 if you don’t want to change over. IF however you make the switch to a t3 flanged manifold the 3071 will be a lovely choice as long as you buy the proper t3 3071 like I mentioned since there are many different turbines housings and wheels available. If you have any questions about this feel free to PM, I did alot of research on the whole 3071 thing before buying my turbo.[/quote]

dude there are guys hitting 400 on 2871 .64s

and a ton of guys hitting 400 on 2871 .86s

a 3071 can do it with ease

since we talking about the gt3071r, is there someone that know something similar in HKS units ?

If you have dyno sheets or a link to some proof I would love to see them. When I was shopping around for a turbo and researching I could only find one 3071 that hit 400 and it was on race gas. I think most people go with the 76mm gt30r or the gt2871’s so there isn’t as many results of 3071’s posted. I’d really love to see some dyno sheets of a 3071 hitting 400.

Also when did guys start hitting 400 on the .64 2871’s? I have never seen that but then again I haven’t been reading the more hardcore forums lately.

very recently within the past 3 weeks. check FA for dynos

a 3071 is simply a bigger turbo, but since it is less popular than the 2871 im guessing less guys are pushing them hard and putting up dynos. they are more capable than 2871s though