Digital Cluster

Hey guys,
I got a prob with my digital cluster. It came in a 91 hatch that I purchased. Everything works fine accept the digital speedo. What happens is it comes on for a few seconds and then fades out kinda. Then nothing after that. Does anyone have any idea what this is and if it is fixable? Thanks!

I’ve heard the solder on the back of the speedo board can lose contact causing it to fade in and out, specially in cold weather, try pulling the thing apart and check the contact points, resoldering as you see fit.

Yeah another option is to swap over to a fastback style cluster, which tends to have fewer issues than the digital.

Great, i’ll give that a try, I would like to keep the digital one, I just think it looks way better than the stock one. Thanks!

Sorry to interrupt here, but why are the HUD/digital displays so popular? I just don’t get it…just curious.

EDIT: Apparently my “message has been postedededed”… :lol: You guys I tellz ya… :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I like it because the tach is right in the centre mostly, but I also like the digital speedo part. I’m not crazy about the HUD as much but the cluster to me is damn sexy 8)

HUD is cooler thats why,

no reason is needed.

ed is right, the solders at the back dry out or something and cause intermittent functionality.

i am not sure where exactly to look on the back of the cluster but there are diagrams out there that tell you where the trouble spots are.

[quote
I got a prob with my digital cluster. It came in a 91 hatch that I purchased. Everything works fine accept the digital speedo. What happens is it comes on for a few seconds and then fades out kinda. Then nothing after that. Does anyone have any idea what this is and if it is fixable? Thanks]

Try custone out in pickering (that is were we send out all our electronic dash clutster) - they may be able to help you … no guaranties

Do you or anyone know where such a diagram can be found?

it would help almost all of us if we can get our hands on such a diagram.

Thanks again.

when i put hud in my hatch when i did the swap, the first cluster that i got didnt friggin work, so there i am cutting a big hole in my dash for nothin!!!

I too would like to get my hands on this diagram. I’ve searched high and low with nothing to show for it. I think I will just take my cluster out take a look myself. Now, do I have to take out the whole front bezel in order to take out the cluster?