Direct TV

I wish I can get DirecTV in Canada. Cogeco fucking blows.

Ha that’s funny we were just talking about that today,how it be nice to get directv into canada

Haha. I loved them days too. So many movie channels and PPVs, you didn’t know where to start!

That question came up at DirecTV revolutions a couple years ago and the CEO bluntly said no we have no interest in moving into canada. From a install standpoint it would be a mess. as you go further north the sats are lower in the sky so no line of sight situations get more and more common. Never mind all of the politics involved as well as video distribution issues getting their content to arizona so it can be distributed.

With that said I have done quite a few accounts for canadian customers. Those are my favorite installs.

whats the newest box available to customers? my current box is garbage and takes 2 minutes to respond to every request

HR44 is the most current box, is the second gen of the “Genie” 5-tuner box.

• Updated - - -

Your pissed because they can’t offer something is not technologically possible, satellite providers do not use QAM signaling which is what the Open Cable Labs cablecard spec is built around. Satellite providers are not beholden to the same FTC rules as cable company’s.

I understand this, I’d perfer to build my own htpc/dvr box so I can record as much as I like as the dvr boxes hard drives are not enough space IMO

Your only option for DIY DVR for satellite providers is something like this Hauppauge | HD PVR 2 model 1512 Product Description

It would require you to lease two set-tops but you could DVR 2 streams at that point.

I switched to directTV when all my discounts expired with fios. I tried to stay with fios but they wouldn’t help me out. With time warner Internet and directTV I’m saving over $50 a month. The only thing I don’t like about directTV is the channel menu’s. Fios was a lot easier to navigate.

I found Dish and DirecTV much easier to navigate since HD/SD stations where in a sane order.

I have 2 dvr boxes and a hd box, I just prefer using wmc to control my recordings idk in picky

Bump

All directv HDDVR’s have a external sata port that you can hook a external hard drive up so you can have more storage. the HR34 and HR44 both have a 1tb drive. If that is not enough you should go outside and do something.

Meh, I think I have 2 hr44s, I guess I’ll have to yank a spare drive and get an enclosure then lol