Discussion: RICE or NICE??

If you ask me, this is the worst of what is cool right now.

the body kits are damaged, not functional, not practical and dont even look good to begin with.

the cars are too low, not practical, have gone beyond lowering the centre of gravity all the way to making the car scrape on anything more than the slightest of inclines.

The wheels, althouh nice and high quality, allow for no clearance or suspension give.

stretched tires do nothing for me personally.

the stickers are pure rice… who cares who supports you or what events you have been in… i dont wear my degrees or diplomas on my jacket or my car.

the cars are supposedly not even all that fast and i cant see them autocrossing very well…

what are these cars actualyl built for? because if it were just drift then the stickers an kits are not necessary for going sideways, nor are the wheels and tires.

its pure unfunctional, life-style modding… or in other words rice.

the stickers are most definately rice and so are the white gram lights, if they were gold or gun metal it would look much better.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/rtsvd/bingo.jpg

clearly, you dont wear badges on your car bing about what events you’ve been in. :ugh:

Body kit is over done. So I’d say Rice, but I’m sure under the hood it’s
serious business. :dunno:

lol… good call dan,

however… that picture was taken in the pits at Drift Mania…

the stickers came off later that day…

so STFUNOW!

There’s a difference between aero and ground effects.

Aero, provides a stylish and functional use, ie: cooling vents and lower weight. Most often they are minimalistic simple and not overly aggressive.

Ground effects are for the purpose of making you car look like anything but the factory configuration. They are heavy, silly looking, and provide little to no improvement to the vehicle aside from the off chance of making it look nice.

Trust me, I had a Buddy Club kit on my mazda MX-6 it was most certainly ground effects as it weight almost 4 times that of the stock poly bumpers, and although it did look nice, and had decent venting, the vents were not in a usefull place, or a viable vent at all. and it made the car 2" off the ground without me lowering the car at all, can you imagine stock ride hight and hitting every pebel…

So ground effects = riceroni
“good” aero = ok

You’re definitely off on the terminology there. “ground effects” is what is used to actually generate useful downforce by means of creating a low pressure area underneath the car, and a high pressure area above it. Usually this involves splitters and the like.

bing, you’re really out to get this dousan guy, aren’t you?

but yeah, i’d say they are mostly rice.

The stickers don’t bother me. The dents, dings and scratches I like. The ride height is gay I say way too low to be practical or even look cool. And the kits are way too ugly. Its too big to be considered agresivie its just ugly.

the 2 cars pictured have to be the dumbest looking things ive ever seen.

the kit does not flatter the lines of the car at all… it makes it look lik something a 10 year old kid drawing cars would come up with…

GT

picking a fight with PG bing? i love it!

Those guys do what their cars a built to do and they do it well.

Who cares…

im not picking a fight,

its just that this has come up in conversation recently and i havent heard from anyone else that this is the type of hting they aspire to.

further,

years ago people were into flourescent paint, VIS INVADER kits and Konig Wheels on their Preludes

now its Vertex Kits, battle scars and ridiculously low 240sx’s.

we might think its cool, but only because we’re all ricers…lol

yes i admit to being a ricer…

whats more is that we cannot be the judge of rice, the real judges are the people who are not into cars.

if people are arent into cars look at your car and say: “thats stupid / ugly / dangerous” chances are your car is poo.

whereas a tastefully modified import car will be admired by all regardless of what a persons preference is.

Vanilla rice rice, baby :lol:

The kits are fug, but as Bob said, who cares.

People who aren’t into cars that look at stripped interiors, flush wheels, and large exhausts, think thats dangerous stupid and so on. And yet, non of the above mentioned are dangerous or stupid.

The problem is they don’t understand, and thats why it takes another car oriented person to make the distinction whether it’s truely stupid or unsafe.

In a nutshell people who don’t understand are the worst people to judge.

Rice in it’s basic terminology refers to cars that are typically show cars. They build a car (sucessfully or unsucessfully) to look fast or cool, but aren’t either. It was used for those who make the cars look fast and arent.

So are those cars rice? No, they aren’t, because they get beat to shit, run hard, and raced more often then most people drive get a chance to drive their cars.

who cares

i think its more the fact that everything on that car is overkill or rather useless.

the kit is over the top and ugly as fuck
the car is FAR too low and i can well imagine the suspesnion is out of its nominal operational range.

the rest of it is decent enough but really… if you were to show up to any sort of lapping day with that where a club like omsc or pcoc was putting it on… they would laugh you off the track.

i personally aspire to build a car that would still be respected at ANY lapping event.

porsche colub of canada
battle endless

or anything for that matter

the end

GT

i like lindsays car (the coupe)

dousans car looks overdone and both impractical for driving on the street

i would never want to drive dousans car on the street even though it is fast.

i just think it looks gay. when he had his hatchback with fn’s it was nice and not too agressive.

the style they portray is like imo bosozuku style

both cars are fast.

both would look more to my liking with no vinly and mild aero or oem style aero

more or less exactly what greg wrote. but he posted it while i was typing this

in before the lock

im really not a fan of the sideskirts that look like flat sheet metal.
it looks a lot cleaner with a contoured kit

I agree with bob.

You can’t call it rice. that’s just being a dick.

The fact is that rice is DEFINED as cars that look fast or look amazing but don’t do anything of the sort.

The other fact is that both of those guys are better drivers than everyone on this forum and attend the track days to boot. They are never laughed off the track.

The TE37s and the Equips are more that what most of us paid for our cars, AND they are run on the track not just to look pretty and pretend to be track heros.

Those cars, whether you like the people driving them or not, are well built.

And they’re not too low when bing was talking about tucking his welds IIRC.