Ditching Dexcool?

My G8 is due for a coolant flush. I’m debating on flushing the system with Prestone cleaner and going with G05 Coolant rather than Dexcool again. Obviously I would replace the thermostat, back flush the heater core, ect.
Is the switch worth it or should I busy do a spill and fill work Dexcool?

Seems like a lot more effort and you get nothing out of it

I used the prestone kit to flush my truck with water for a few minutes with it running, then drained it as much I could then refilled with normal coolant and distilled water.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61hzJbLqqSL.SX300.jpg

I’ve dumped the dexcool out of every GM I’ve had. Flush it out with a garden hose as much as you can, fill the radiator back with water and run it so thermostat opens and gets all the dexcool in the block circulated back out, then drain (repeat if necessary) and refill with normal green stuff.

I stayed with dexcool after the supercharger install. I installed a 160 degree thermostat and the car never comes close to getting hot. I also used dexcool in the intercooler loop.

I don’t understand the hate for dexcool. I never had issues with it in my 240K saturn. or in my 230K work van, or my other 100+K work vans. just like any other fluid it does require periodic service. I don’t buy into any automotive fluids lasting 10 years. Change it every 5 or so years and be done with it.

If it runs low it turns to mud. I’ve done two heater core and a radiator in a cut away chassis at work. Finally I flushed the system, ran cleaner a few times and went to G05. We have had zero issues.

When I looked into this when I owned the GTO the general consensus was doing the swap was probably a waste of time at best and a potential for bigger problems if you didn’t get it 100% flushed. I ran my GTO harder than most of the cars on this forum doing 20 minute sessions at Nelson Ledges and never had any issues with Dexcool.

anyone still use redline water wetter?

I use water wetter in all the bikes/ quads / tractor.

I use it in the bike and in the intercooler loop. Might add it to the car in the spring to see if it helps keep it even cooler.

I use the Toyota Red coolant in my Toyota powered cars, and use Prestone in the rest…never had any issues…

I think the people who have Dexcool issues are the ones who ran it for 10+ years and never considered following a maintenance schedule.

I think the people who have Dexcool issues are the ones who ran it for 10+ years and never considered following a maintenance schedule.

coolant does not just run low. There is some level of evaporation but it is negligible. My turbo SHO had mud for coolant for over a year and I was scratching my head. Turns out I had a head gasket failure on cylinder 1 as well as a cracked ring land. Coolant is a item that requires periodic service, so unless you have another failure you are not aware of you should never have mud in your cooling system.

anyone still use redline water wetter?

I have always though about running it on my track cars but I have never had a car that runs hot or overheats so I never tried it. If they had one to keep transmission temps down on my A8 track car I would use it for sure.