DIY: How to Debadge.

this has probably been done on here somewhere, but here i go anyways.

so you wanna get rid of some sort of badge for whatever reason. quite understandable. i did this project with a minimum of resources, as i was too lazy to really get some stuff together to make it effortless.

What you need:

-an hour or so of your time
-a clean rag or paper towel
-“Goo Gone” ($5.99 for a container that you can use for a year)

DO NOT USE “GOOF OFF”, A SIMILAR LOOKING PRODUCT THAT IS A LOT STRONGER. YOU’LL STRIP THE PAINT OFF YOUR CAR. before using the right product, like the bottle says, test in on a hidden area so you can see the reaction it has.

-dental floss or fishing line
-hair dryer. (NOTE: this isn’t that important, but it just makes it easier on your fingernails if you heat up the crap as you go along. i didn’t use one and it still came out well.)
-
a beer or two.
yay, stock nastyness

a

won’t be like that for long. wait until after you finish to wash the car because you are going to be making slight mess anyways.

grab your fishing line or floss and gently slip it between the badge/emblem and the bodywork. start working it back and forth, separating the 2 surfaces. fishing line is a hell of a lot stronger, but i had floss laying around and it was free, so i used that. the floss might start to unravel and break after a while, but if you double loop it you’ll be alright. work slowly.

(Note: some cars have the emblems lined up into the panel using predrilled holes from the factory. find out if your car has this before you pull off the badge.)

after you get the letters off, you’re left with this lovely goddamn glue to deal with. remember, before you use the right cleaner, test it somewhere that won’t be highly visible to see if your paint will react badly. the last thing you want is a big blemish. the method that worked for me was to lightly wet a rag with the Goo Gone and get as much of the adhesive as wet as possible. keep working it in there using circular motion to move it around, and then let it sit for maybe a minute. use your fingernails to then scrape the crap off until it gets dry and sticky again.

keep repeating the process until it’s reasonably clean.

if you look close you can see a small line of glue that was there from the previous owner, when he took off the dealer sticker. while i was at it i knocked that out too. goo gone works wonders!

and after more work, just rubbing and scraping

big thanks to Aaron B for helping me out and not being a bitch about the cold.

nice job. now wash it.

just my .02, but there is alot less steps involved if you just use a heatgun. or your moms hairdryer.

eh. didn’t have one on me.

Windex works good too if you don’t have goo gone.

lol. Wal-Mart: your one stop shop for all automotive detailing needs.

Except Wal Mart didn’t have anything we could use for it haha. And it was pretty damn chilly. I should learn to keep a hoodie in my car or something. Debadge turned otu real good though.

id recommend the hair dryer also… i used floss, some hot water, etc… some stuff to get the sticky off, because ghosting sucks

i know man. i made this guide for those who might not have easy access to that stuff, but i agree. used those items on my old car and they worked wonders.

lol ok ok. change it to home depot.

looks good…i think i am the only person to actually rebadge my car…i left the sentra off though

thanks man. what did you rebadge it with?

all my SE-R and Spec V badges were off when i bought the car and i liked them so i put them back on

I’d vote for a heat gun (not a hair dryer).

word, works like a charm thats what I used

Not using a heat gun is fucking retarded. I used one also.

DIY = 2/5.

why thank for all your positive comments. somehow it turned out ok without all the fancy things.

edit: can i get a bonus question so that i can improve my grade?

:tup: looks better.

heat gun definitely is the way to go though… mine just fell right off ----> http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10285

he didn’t use a heat gun… and it turned out fine. good job norb keep it up!

i’m glad somebody gets the point. use what you ya got and still make it look good. thanks seep!

Shutup man, if you don’t use a heatgun you are just playin in the minor leagues.

Anyways dude, never said it didn’t look good, just said you need a heat gun! lol.

LOL @ minor leagues. You’re removing 3M tape, not shaving door handles or frenching tail-lights. Debadging is minor-league no matter how you do it.