DMV question?

Looked all over the DMV site…couldnt find anything. Figure maybe someone here will know…

I have a vehicle that hasnt been inspected in 2 years, as of the moment there is a problem with the breaking system that im pretty sure will fail it. DMV sent me the letter saying I cant renew my registration due to the fact that it hasnt been inspected. The vehicle still has full coverage insurance, its just not registered or inspected.

Someone told me that I was supposed to turn in my plates to dmv, and not doing so I could get a daily fine or some bullshit.

Anyone know for sure?

You will be fined $7 per day for every day a registered car remains uninsured. After a set amount of time your license will be suspended.

You can have plates from a reg that has expired, and still have the car insured, and not be fined.

Yeah, the car still has full insurance on it so thats good to know. I just have to find time to have someone look at it. Fuxing abs system

Fuck ABS. I yanked that shit out of every car I’ve owned with it. Habit of us left foot brakers.

ABS light on? Take it to some place to have the BTC’s scanned and get the code for reference. Most places will give you a sticker regardless if the ABS is illuminated.

Na, no light. Every time you go to stop, when you get to like 5mph, the abs kicks in, pedal kicks back, makes that horrible “abs noise” and then stops. No lights ever come on. Im not even sure if that will fail it.

The only thing I can guess is a sensor. I’ve replaced rotors, pads, bleed the lines and it still does it

ABS isnt required to pass inspection… they worry about MIL.

if the brakes work correctly but the abs light is on you should pass no issue. its probably just a wheel speed sensor thats broken thats causing the light to come on.

check the wiring.

also another thing could be the ABS control module which will cause the pulsation in the pedal. if its faulted it might sense a slip condition, which works hand in hand with the wheel speed sensor on the brakes.

Yeah pull the ABS pump fuse and be done with it for now. Just don’t tailgate folks in the slippery stuff :wink:

Hmmm i’ll have to do that, for some reason i was under the assumption that a shop would fail it for that.

My next problem is the battery died, and i replaced it. Dont they have a rule where they cant run the inspection scan if it the vehicle hasnt driven like 50-100 miles or some bs like that?

x2 or just unplug the abs motor and pull the dash light if your concerned

Yeah, I have no dash light for the abs (the only one i do have is the airbag light - but from what i’ve read that doesnt matter either, i think its from all the shaking the truck has endured)

Pulling the voltage on the PCM clears the ready monitors. Every manufacture has a different set of driving parameters to activate the RM’s(d o2 heater, Evap purge, EGR, etc). You’re typically allowed one non active(Ie 4 of 5 active you’re good to go)

Well, pulled the abs fuse, no more problem but now I get the abs light once I try to stop. From what I’ve found that wont be an issue for a failed inspection. Now I just have the issue of letting the parameters reset. Will they reset if a vehicle just sits running or does it actually have to be driving?

Yeah…I found a list of what you need to do in order to reset all the readiness monitors…im pretty much fucked on doing them without taking a huge risk.

Do you have a lift? drive the car in the air for a while to reset the monitors…

Yeah, that wont work, here is a list of how to reset the monitors

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

that sucks, good luck man.

car just need to be driven…i do it all the time for my one job…after a car gets sold, if theres anything that needs to be fixed, its done…then i throw a plate on it and drive around for a while…then when enough monitors have run its pulled in and inspected :slight_smile:

Just take it out on the highway for a few exit’s. I use to take cvars out for about 20 min on the highway and the hit the streets for about 10 min and you are good to go. Even if it’s inspected without the monitors are ready. You will fail, but you get a 10 day temperary to get it reinspected due to emissions.

If you don’t want to drive the car around due to it’s condition. Theres no since in trying to even get it inspected then.

No, the condition of it is fine (minus the abs fuse pulled) The risk of driving an uninspected/unregistered vehicle is what im shaky about, as im sure if I do happen to get snagged, something tells me that will get expensive quick.

You can’t inspect a unregistered car. It will not be able to find your registration in the DMV computer when scanning the reg for inspection.