FUCK DMV. AND NYS

They are unreachable by phone, i have been trying to call for over a week. So much for Cuomo and his efficiency, transparency, reorganization, customer service, SAGE bullshit etc. / RANT

Maybe some one here can help me figure this out. I wanted to transfer registration and plates from one car i own, to another. AFter a week of not being able to reach dmv on the phone and see what i needed to do, i went down there. The hourly temp at the counter gave me a temporary registration, pending me getting the vehicle inspected within 10 days, and RETURNING. WTF? I told her the car wont be running within 30 days, and i have never heard of this. Last time i did it they just transferred registration, and i had 10 days to inspect it, it wasnt hinged on anything. She spent 42 minutes talking to her supervisor, to come back and say it was because “i havent gotten the car inspected in a few years” The car hasnt been on the road in a few years. why or how the fuck would i get it inspected?

Has anybody heard of this??

Yep I’ve been through that.

I actually had to inspect a car just so I could transfer the plates from it. The car hasn’t been running in years. When I tried to explain to them that I want to take it OFF THE ROAD, because it isn’t running an inspection of it makes no sense.

Eventually I ended up getting the car towed to an inspection place and inspected just so I could take the plates off it.

Car is a 1994.

Car needs to be inspected to be registered. Usually they register it fully and give you the ten day temp to get it inspected and its on you to do so otherwise after the ten days is up your driving without an inspection. Sounds like the office is trying to play the role of enforcement which is garbage. I’d go back and raise hell.

However if its been in your name the whole time sometimes the office gets stuck on that and assumes you need to get it towed to the station like Vlad said he had to do. Technically they can go either way but usually they show pity in the customer and process the reg and give you a ten day inspection.

Oh forgot to mention I also had to reregister the car first that I was taking off the road…

If that’s not backwards than I don’t know what is.

wow vlad that blows, hopefully i wont have to go thru all that.

thanks fellas, makes way more sense then what the hell they were trying to say.

That’s the problem with DMV it should be cut and dry black and white. But when you have so many offices and so many people that run the offices that think they are important you get lots of grey areas. Half my calls at work are offices complaining that they turned down someone but they went to the next town overs dmv and they processed the transaction for them.

They should get rid of the plate surrender rule.

Bikes don’t have to surrender plates and it’s the easiest thing in the world.

Take them off insurance, keep them on, don’t register them for years, or finally decide to register. Just go online and renew. All registrations expire on the same date too.

If cars were like that there would be little to no hassle.

your hitting the 2 years without an inspection bullshit like they said above. If your going to put it on the road, ya have to inspect it anyway. If you want to save the tow and the trouble with that shit… “gift it” to your wife, gf, brother, whatever. then its just like any new regi.

that sounds like alot of work too. now that I think of it. lol. I would toss some plates on it from another whip, get it inspected and come back with a pass letter and try again.

This.

The process for anything with a motorcycle just seems so much easier and no hassle. Hell they should even get rid of the registration in the front window and issue a yearly sticker like on a motorcycle as well. I am willing to bet it would save the state a little bit of money.

leave it to shift to know more than dmv. prob has been > 2 years unlike last time i did this… so i guess that makes sense. i knew i would have to get it inspected, i just didnt want to make another trip to dmv. otherwise i would have just surrendered the plates and put it on the road when it was ready. I had the option to get new plates, but they were on “GEYxxxx” and i wasnt down for that

MR skiier…

when OUR new CIO of ITS took over a few months back, did you hear the “all hands conf call” gloating about the new phone apps they want to make for DMV to speed up transactions and lessen the lines at the offices? LOOOOOL lets see that one work. I cant wait to see a bunch of confused hipsters trying to use their iPhones to reregister their Prius’.

i hear ya. just sneak it to a wallmart or jiffy lube, get it passed, take the recipt to the dickholes and getterdone at the dmv again.

best of luck, may the force be with you!

I haven’t heard shit about this haha. Go figure though its pretty typical they keep the guy the offices call first about this stuff in the dark as long as possible. They just released a new drinking driver program enrollment program online and didn’t train us on it until a day before it went into use.

Can’t forget the added bonus of no front plate needed :number1

and that right there sums up thread title and my sentiments. nothing is done with any foresight or planning with the state, its all just a knee jerk last minute reaction. then the poor souls who are on the front lines get treated like the asshole (myself included)

ok now i have a question sry for the thread jack in advanced… if i have a bike plate that was for one of my old bikes from 3 years ago… can i still transfer that plate to my new bike?

its all good, i’ve finally cooled off :smiley: lol

On hold with the Title Bureau last week…

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/27/2u2epa9e.jpg

By the time I hung up the phone with the stupid bitch it was a 44 minute phone call. 43 minutes on hold…60 seconds or less to get my answer.

If its expired over one year the plate is done. If not you’re good to go.

pinnacle of efficiency right there, cuomo for prez