No passed inspection for 2+ years, NYS DMV question...

The topic came up today looking for a fellow DMV employee to chime in.

From what I know in my own experience… if DMV has a car registered but does NOT see a passed inspection for over 2 years they cancel your registration and you cant re-register it until it is passed.

I got that pink piece of paper in the mail for my RWD jetta failure that sat for over 2 years but still had the plates registered to it.

Now, what if you sold the car. Does the flag still stick to the VIN/car so the new owner cant register it until it passes? Idea I had was sell it, then sell it back to the original owner to get 2 years out of the car if it will never pass again.

Ive wondered about this myself. Seems like you should be able to sell it and the buyer be able register it because i dont even think you can inspect an unregistered car…

Technically the new owner is supposed to get the car inspected when they register it anyway. That’s why they give you a 10 day temporary inspection sticker when you register a car. Most people just leave the inspection sticker on the windshield and just get it inspected when that sticker expires.

And since you sold it your registration for the car is cancelled once you turned in or transferred the plates/registration to another car.

if this is the right source of information:

Beginning September 4, 2007, motorists in the Upstate region of NYS, in addition to those in the New York City Metropolitan Area (NYCMA), will only be able to renew their vehicle registrations if the vehicle has had the required emissions inspection in the last 12 months. The emissions inspection is required and completed at the time of the annual vehicle safety inspection.

(aparaently the 2 year thing I thought it was is incorrect)

You can renew the registration only if your vehicle has had an emissions inspection within the last 12 months. If there is not an inspection report on file, you cannot renew your registration. You can renew your registration after your vehicle has passed the required emissions inspection.

Now is this just some NYC and those “upstate” areas just outside the city?

don’t forget that we have a two year at a time registration

I understand that, and in that case they would still have it re-inspected and passed within the 1+ years of registration, so it wouldnt trigger the flag im talking about.

What I am saying is, if the car is registered for say 3.7556 years and has been sitting UN-inspected the entire time… long enough to get a notice saying (you can not renew your registration until it passes and inspection), would that be stuck to the owner or the vin/car?

I don’t think it would be stuck to a new owner since theyre required to get it inspected anyway. They’ll be given the 10 day temp and have to get it inspected within that time.

ok, so maybe the new owner has 1-2 years to not inspect it until they pull the reg/plates on them too?

well they have 10 days or will get a ticket of their own

this happened to me about a year ago…the car i bought wasnt inspected legit for years…when i registered it they asked for the inspection number…i told them i just bought the car and it had no inspection sticker…because of new ownership they gave me a 10 day with no issues…if you tryed to re-register the car yourself before selling it you would need an inspection before dmv would re-register it for you…hope that makes sense

So let me get this striaght you want us to tell you how to do something illegal?? If you dont inspect the vehicle motor vehicle is notified and they can also spot check at time of registration and that is why the inspection station gives you the piece of paper at the time of inspection… Now should you get stopped with a uninspected vehicle they can impound it and you can get up to $50 a month fine plus court surcharge… So I ask why not just get it inspected for $21. Unless it wont pass in which case why would you take the chance of killing some ones family or friends??? If its an emmission issue there has to be 2 things wrong to fail and if it is pre 1996 it doesnt have obd2 emmission standards anyway…Bill

no offense but you have no idea what the situation is.

First off, its not even my car. I mentioned my jetta project I crushed a few months back as evidence that this dmv action is in effect… when I got the letter back then i tossed it becasue the car would never see street use even if completed. This was brought up as a discussion for someone elses project that has been in the works for 3-4 years at this point, and they are planing for when its completed. That being said, it will be a VERY high end built car, with TOP NOTCH work and parts, its far from a 1996 civic with 324kmi no brakes, flintstone floors and cords poking through the tires, if it sees 5kmi a year going show to show thats alot so your friends and family are safe.

And I am not asking how to do something illegal, I am quite capible of doing that on my own. lol All I am asking is can the thing even be registered come the day its completed and wont pass an NYS inspection. The owner/driver can do as they please and chance tickets and impound if they choose thats nobodys call but theirs. OR they can register it out of state where it CAN pass less strict inspections / if its driven less than 5kmi its emmissions exempt just needs safty. so they are trying to get the full picture of how it might even work in gold ole new fucking york to see to what extent he needs to go with the build.

and why not inspect it for $21. Becasue an LS1 swapped Honda probably wont pass. lol Its not some jalopy turd that the owner cant afford to put a $130 evap purge silonoide in to get a sticker.

…John

car needs to be inspected , if ownership is changed new owner will need to get it inspected within 10 days . as far as i know they havent changed that yet . i know what car your talking about as well lol

yeah thats what I thought. He is going to have to sell it to someone, then sell it back to himself. gets the 10 day temp piece of paper and might as well throw it in the trash. Rock out for a year or two until he gets the reg yanked again/cant renew it from lack of inspection and repeate the process.

or

register it in PA or somewhere that waives the emissions check if driven less than XXXX miles a year becasue it will pass safty inspection just fine.

Im glad I/CRC aint building hipster rockets newer than 1995 anymore

VT registration will work too. I dont think they do emissions yet even though Ive heard they might eventually. I can check with some friends that live there.

Vt is soon

Bottom line if your trying to beat the system you are trying to do something that is not legal because your vehicle is not up to spec… Why do we all have to get our car inspected and sometimes get them fixed to pass and you look for a way to avoid having to do the same… So if anyone buys something from you it has to be fixed to pass inspection?? Wtf…I wouldnt buy anything from you… you have made it quite clear you are a butch… Keep your junk to yourself or fix it…Just my opinion…Bill

It doesn’t sound like some cobbed together junk that he’s trying to get to pass to sell. He mentioned LS1 Honda.

It’s emissions issues not safety !! Huge difference , k.k does shit safely but the em idioms shit is rediculous . Maybe if ya read the whole post ya would have gotten that . Smh idiot