Do US dealers buy cars from Canada?

hey gents,

I just got licensed to sell new and used cars in Ontario and am registered to a group of dealers that my cousin just bought with a couple partners. 1 x Honda, 2 x Ford, 2 x Chrysler. I’m going to do a bit of seasonal work for him while i’m not storm chasing in the summer.

Anyhow… the CDN / US exchange is 1.25% in your favor right now… so do you US dealership dudes look to Canada for near new inventory at a time like this??? seems like you would since the pricing is so crazily to your advantage.

@Beck, @[B]Justin @Kramer

[/B]one of the reasons i ask is because we have this 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond Edition with 28,000kms (17,000 miles) for $49k CDN which is well under $40k USD right now which is way below market down there i believe:

http://pictures.dealer.com/p/peninsulaautomotivesalesampleasingtc/1149/b618d1d6057c3c260d1f8f4efa8499a6x.jpg

And we also have a C7 Z51 vette and a near new XF Jag sedan… WHAT UP!!!

Superior buys cars from Canada. I don’t anything about it other than a guy who used to work there would go to Canada to get cars.

http://www.sascars.com/

This is the exact reason why I’ve been checking kijiji lately for toys lol
As far as dealers buying cars, sure there is the currency exchange difference, but the real question is what do the duties, taxes, and what ever other fees there might be add up to.
Also say on the Cadillac, can the temp be converted to Fahrenheit or the mileage display in miles?

You may be able to switch that in the menu.

it’s a good idea, but I can’t see mass dealers being interested unless you can match auction pricing which is probably not worth it to you.

well im brand new to this but it appears to be quite common. auctions can only supply what the sellers dont want or can’t move easily. Most inventories (like rental companies purging fleet) are picked through by guys like my cousin and his partners and only what isn’t picked through hits the auction. if you are looking for something specific by request or to fill specific inventory needs dealer / wholesaler to dealer sales are quite common and probably more along the lines of what i’ll be doing.

my cousin used to do alot of importing of Mercedes & BMW SUV’s a few years back when the dollar was stable and near parity. I asked if he would get back into that today and he said that it’s the reverse that is happening more and more because of the exchange rate moving the way it is. hence why i made this thread.

i never asked what the bottom line is on the CTS-V but i’m sure there is room in it, particularly for regular B2B sales

I could be completely wrong but unless it was some thing extremely rare or a smoking deal it would be too costly get cars from Canada. We already have a handful of pre owned c7 corvettes with ultra low miles and have some z28s on the way with sub 300 miles

well i’m committed to looking into this a bit further. I suspect you could get the 13% HST back which would be most of the added costs. the cars are US made anyways so there wouldnt be any duty on them would there be? they’re coming back to where they’re made and probably had taxes applied coming into Canada. @Minglor @XwalkerX

saw this at a Basil store: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=14305&endYear=2012&modelCode1=CTS&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2012&makeCode1=CAD&maxMileage=30000&searchRadius=200&showcaseListingId=0&trim1=CTS|V&mmt=[CAD[CTS[CTS%7CV]][]]&listingId=391171842&Log=0

12k fewer miles but no black diamond package and $7k more… there has got to be a play here somewhere just using this as an example.

moreover, it looks like the exchange rate could hit 1.30 or lower which would make this all the more worthwhile

no.
there has been no refund for GST/HST or whatever other kind of tax you knuckleheads pay in like 10 years.

• Updated - - -

you’re correct that its duty free.

Even if its made in Canada or Mexico it qualifies for a duty free admission via NAFTA

So a US buyer still has to pay 13% hst?

Do professional exporters have a process for reducing overall cost?

that’s a policy you need to clarify with your government

all im saying is I know that there is no more refund for tax paid on a Canadian purchased item like there was in the past

I know that I dealt with this issue a lot, but it was reversed for me. I sold 100’s of RV’s to Canadian “Wholesalers” who were not actually licensed to sell, but bought many and brought them across to sell at home. I know with any of the motorized transactions, we had to send paperwork to the border, it sat for 3 days until they were able to bring it across. We had to use a broker for most and that was to be paid by the customer.

I would imagine it’s similar for bringing into the US, if not more time consuming.

For the Canadians purchasing in the US, even if they traded in to me, they still paid the tax on the overall amount when they went home to register, not the amount after trade. Most of them sold it on their own up there anyways because the market was so much stronger and then I wouldn’t have to inflate the overall number to account a bloated trade number/sale price.

I realize we are talking cars vs. RV’s and it’s opposite of what you are looking to do here, just giving some of my exp. on my side, dealing with Canadian customers.

Edit- I do recall that a few times we consigned and even bought a few units out of Canada. I do remember it being a very cumbersome process. The Canadian broker had to go see the unit ahead of time, take pictures, gather info and then he was included in the process of actually bringing it over too.

just had the chat… apparently one of the partners used to export $6M - $7M in vehicles per year to the US when the exchange was like this before. We export it to the US and then for the buyer it’s exactly the same as buying a car locally. Also the turn around time is a fraction of what it is when the auctions are involved.

yay fun things.

send us down some skylines!

if you really want one i guess but they aren’t really cool up here… you can only do the R32’s down there right now with the 25 year rule right?

you might as well just kijiji it up and bring it down. i’ve done 2 cars the opposite way myself and it’s easy as pie.

you’re missing the $$$. They’re very desirable and worth more before the exchange help down here but nobody here wants to be the one to bring them down.

yeah I bet you could make some cash bringing those jalopy’s into the US

okay well… i am sure right drive would hook you dudes up. i do know the guys there but they dont use the forums anymore.

they usually have the best cars. it is not easy to find good ones anymore.

actually there is a new CDN vendor from BC about to join the network including putting stuff up on nyspeed. he has AWESOME stuff at crazy pricing if you can handle the travel.

it’s this guy: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Imvee-Aero-Performance/195412080595642

but you’re missing the part where US buyers don’t want to bring the car across. they’d rather pay more for it already in the US.

that dude is in Vancouver which is just as close to the US border as i am…

man this is nuts:

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10934019_10155305954570179_345372501958104153_n.jpg?oh=afc82629740a43f4e2eddac8ddaa9f95&oe=556A4187

the exchange rate has moved in your favor 10% in the last month… probably just going to keep going too.