Does anyone insure their modifications on their cars?

Just wondering if anyone does this or just keeps the regualr insurance on their car even if heavily modified. Was thinking about insuring my car with the mods I have on it since they are expensive but I can’t afford a huge insurance payment either. Anyone have some insight on this?

no i have not… cheaper insurance > then chances of a decent pay out.

I never did that. I was hit once by an old lady in a 350z in a quarter panel tho. didnt like the money they were going to give me so had an adjuster come out, told him I would have to have the wheel repowdercoated since it was done in black, could be suspension damage, (which there was, found out later that a rear lateral was bent ) etc etc. got like $3100.

and well… lets just say I got everything fixed for less then a monthly payment on a cobalt :rofl:

^^^ so you are the douchbag who causes mine & everyone else’s insurance rates to go up?

You weren’t happy with the estimate, so you got them to overpay, and then fixed it for even less $$ than they originally planned on giving you. You sir are an asshole. You should be turned in for insurance fraud.

if you total your car just buy it back and put your parts on another car, or part em out. thats what i would do. you should be mad at the chick who hit his car, not slow rt, now his car has an accident on the record. so if he goes to sell it he will only get 1000 bucks instead of 1200. i say fuck the insurance company when ever you can, cause they fuck you every month!!!

:bowrofl:

explain to me how it is fraud when someone comes to look at your vehicle and the damage that has been done to it. decides that there is X amount of damage done to it and writes you a check… your not forced to take that check to a repair shop and say " hey! I got $xxx, I want to give it to you to fix this"

you are not forced to get your vehicle fixed…

so your telling me that if someone hits your truck, their insurance company says its totaled, gives you a check for say $6,000 ( or what its worth ) you then have to take that money and go but another truck asap? :bowrofl:
that money is to do with what you please, you are not forced by law to repair the vehicle or buy a new one…

think before you open your mouth next time

hold on, I’ll give you another example just in case you havent gotten it yet.

Say a tree falls on your house, homeowners insurance says theres $15,000 in damage and gives you a check for that amount. you call out some roofers and they say they can fix it for $12,000… Are you going to call up your insurance company and tell them you want to give them back $3,000? Or perhaps you happen to be a roofer yourself and you can fix it yourself for $8,000. are you commiting insurance fraud if you can fix it for less then they think the damage is worth? I think not…

Classic Car insurance…Hagerty for instance.

You and your Ins. Co. come to an agreed value of the car + mods and that’s what they insure it for.

actually fucknut, “full coverage” insurance is exactly for that, to fix the vehicle. He didn’t say that you could or couldn’t do something, he stated that your white trash ass is the reason insurance rates are high for everyone. He is correct, shut up and die.

Agreed. Buy back is like 20%. So if you car is totalled, you essentially get 80% of the value of your car in cash and keep all the goodies for the next one.

they offered him a certain amount… he thought that was low. He had an adjuster come out to assess the damage. The adjuster assessed the damage, and his insurance company cut a check… If you can get it fixed for cheaper than what the ins. company gives you, I fail to see how this makes insurance rates higher… The only difference is some of the check went into his pocket instead of some body shop’s pocket.

im with him on this one also. i get rear ended in a parking lot fucks up my fender and bumper and cracks a red reflector thingy on the left side of the bumper.

they cut me a check for her wrecking into me and i decide to live with the damage now my resale is lower because of the damage and i still got 600 bucs in my pocket.

that’s why they are moving to the adjusters being the shops doing the work, because then the costs are more accurate and there is less overhead. Increased payouts for cars is what drives up insurance costs as it takes away from the company’s overall credit of insurance money. your skewed political views and lack of knowledge of basic economics is reason for me to not be perplexed by your asinine question as to the rate of insurance premiums being increased due to wasteful spending. If not only empirical costs, but actual architectural and functional pricing played a role in insurance assessments then it would be much more of an arduous process. Adding the convenience of expedited claims allows for the mistaken increase in overall costs and is the direct factor to insurance premiums raising for the consumer.

I hear you mac… but accidents and auto insurance are not forms of income and really are in place to protect injured parties and reliable transportation. Cars aren’t throw away until a generalized monetary value is given to them in order to assess these damages. Using the system to over compensate is what drives up the costs.

I do agree that we pay insurance for a reason, so we are entitled to the money to fix the car, pay for hospital bills, long term injury etc etc… it’s not a source of income though, that is considered fraud.

thats fraud! :rofl:

its like having a collectable coin. its a 1 dollar coin, but someone offers you $100 because thats what they feel its worth. are you going to tell them no and give it to them for a buck? and if you take the $100 are you commiting fraud?

:bowrofl:

Slowassturd is right…I hate to say it. But I do call BS on the $3K check…that fuckin pile of shit would have been considered totaled for anything over $1K…

actually selling something under false pretenses of an assumed asset’s cost/worth is fraud, dipshit. is your $1 really market valued around 100 or did you just lie to someone in hopes they would buy it? If someone is stupid enough to buy a $1 coin for $100, then kindly tell your family member that it is a bad economical decision and to move on.

i should add to my post that now a days, the insurance companies are always going to lowball the initial overview of the car in hopes that the person does grab the check, cash and run. the amount is too low to even care, as for the company’s concern, and in the end the amount will more times than not, be less than the actual costs of the repairs, so they just saved money and now the other driver’s rate went up.

when there is a lien on the car or specifics in the auto insurance policy, sometimes people are legally held to those repairs. this is a state by state law basis.

I dont know what the adjuster did, all I know is that I went to shops and they said approx $1500 for the bodywork and tossed a few more dollars on if there was any suspension or underlying damage. I didnt like the amount the shops were saying so I had the lady’s insurance come out and check out the car.

it may have been around $2800 im not sure I just know it was over $2500

I agree. My Z got slightly sideswiped in April. The adjuster created his estimate based on flat-rate hours. Now I used 95% of the money to get the vehicle fixed, but if I would have kept the check then I don’t see how that would increase the rate for other customers. Fshowcars lengthy economic justification for himself doesn’t prove anything. The guy who hit me damaged my vehicle. It is the responsibility of his insurance company to give me the market value (flat-rate hours) of the damage. End of story. And if you know anyone who works in the auto. insurance industry (not just selling it, but in finance for a large firm) you would know that fraud is a minimal factor in our rates.

that’s fine… and the fair market value of your car is what is protected. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t be given what you are paying for. I would assume a high end financial consultant would grasp the basic theory here… sure the bloated estimate costs the company money… and when teh company has to pay money, they need to make money. They only make money one way, raising insurance rates.

the shitty drivers that wreck are the ones to blame… but so are people knowingly beating the system to make income. If this was all ‘fair’… the car should go to a shop to be fixed and itemized and payed… this is how i handle any accidents i’ve been involved in just to not get caught up in the bullshit.

Fraud is a minimal factor as it pales in comparison to long-term (or even short) medical costs, higher costs to fix cars and lawsuits, does that mean that it’s all good then? … no

Good drivers even wreck sometimes…that’s why they are called accidents. Not just shitty drivers. It happens to everyone.