Dog legging??

For the record the car is a 99 em1 with only 117k on it.

Ok, so about a month and a half ago. I swapped out my omni coilovershttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif, as well as I removed the sk2 rear camber kit I had on my car in exchange for the nuespeed springs/stock strut combo and the stock rear upper arm that came with the car when I bought it. Due to the fact that I want to sell the car, so I just wanted to part it out. Anyways, Since then I have notcied my car drives very odd.

1. For starters, for as long as I’ve owned the car, every time I jack the car up to rotate the tires, afterward my steering is off center. For example, I jacked the car up(with a perfectly centered wheel) then when I let it off the jack, I noticed that my wheel was angled slightly to the right when driving straight down the road. About a week later I rotated my tires, then noticed my steering wheel is angled slightly to the left when driving straight down the road now. The car does pull a little to the left.

2. I then noticed that my car would hydroplane like crazy in the rain. Literally feels like Im driving on ice. So I looked at my tires and saw that both outter edges were worn out, but the center of the tread was fine. I immediately thought that they were under inflated, but I had 40psi in them. So I then rotated my tires. And now after 2 weeks the car is no different and the tires are worn out just the same. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:honda-tech.com/get//images/smilies/hammer.gif

3)I also noticed that when driving down the road at highway speeds, every time I hit a bump the wheel wants to jerk out of my hand to the left.

4)Then driving through corner it seems to do the same thing regardless of which kind of turn I make (right/left). For example, if I take a right hand corner, the wheel wants to jerk right, while the car wants to go left, but only through the center of the corner, and I dont go fast by any means through the corner, because of this issue. And its just the opposite for a left hand corner.

1. When Im going slow and making a turn, (such a turning into my driveway), regardless of which way I turn the tires make a slight squeak, repeatably.
  2. Lastly, the front end of the car makes a clapping noise every time I hit a bump, Im guessing those are the ball joints being worn out?

after talking to a few people, they suggested that it sounds like the car is dog legging. I was just wondering if anyone can help me out as to what could be the problem and how do I fix it. Thanks

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:honda-tech.com/get//images/smilies/hammer.gif

my main question is wtf is this object?

hondatech’s version of this…:banghead

oh okay lol

you need @ a minimum a 4 wheel alignment. also sounds like someone needs to look at the ball joints / tie rods and check them for play. minimum.

yea alignment would probably be my first move

I knew I needed an alignment, just wasn’t sure if there was something else causing these problems suspension wise.

alignment man :rofl

oh and now that i actually read it (:lol), 1-5 definitely sound like a dumpy alignment and 6 does sound like balljoints

I was hoping it was just something I can have taken care of which just an alignment. Just seems really crazy, never drove a car that acted like this. So I just want to make sure there are no other possible causes of this.

Any suggestions of good alignment shops?

you can’t align a car with bad ball joints and or tie rods. it doesn’t work. need to check front end first just to be sure. bring it to someone reputable and they should be handle both n/p.

dude the balljoints and rod ends are cheap as hell on those cars just change em,for the lowers you will need a press ,dont get it aligned with bad tires either cause when ya rotate em and the wheel is off ,that means a bad tire or mismatched tires

Wat.

Tires have nothing to do with chassis/suspension alignment.

Have 1stgen align your car.

Ordered new ball joints, when they come in, I’ll replace the tie rod ends at the same time, then get new tires/alignment.

you could be needlessly replacing shit. proper diagnosis is WIN.

+1 Wayne diagnosed my car and turns out my 3 month old ball joints, tie rod ends and RUCA (older) were shot. Thanks buddy, now I have to spend like $1000 :thumbup

I just put my rear camber kit back in, then my father came home and started bitching at me for using the garage and his tools, so i said fuck it and just ordered the balljoints. I know my pass balljoint has a tear in it, so im sure all the grease oozed out therefore cuaing it to wear. When they come in, I’ll put them in and check my tie rod ends, and replace if needed.

ok asscheese:thumbup.so if he has mismached tire sizes on there it will, diff tire manu have diff sizing and are allowed about a 1/2 in variation so look into or be a mechanic before ya open the mouth