Don't Deal with Cottman Transmissions

some kid i went to high school with now owns that since his father gave it to him i think. they do great work from what i hear. place is a mess inside and looks crazy as hell but they know what their doing!

Shit that’s expensive. My bro got me a Chrysler reman tranny for my Cirrus with a 3/36 warranty for around $1,000…

Had a sebring and a caravan done at Cottman on Babcock…both had to go back with problems. I think it was about $1500 each. Hence one of the reasons why I’m buying manual trans. cars till the day I can no longer depress the clutch pedal.

SO I should have paid well over 2300$ for a tranny rebuild for it to hold up? :rolleyes: Please tell me I missunderstood what you posted.

I had THE worst experience at NEW KEN cottman

the car was down for a month while they waited on parts… then it had to go back three times, 1st they didnt replace the syncros like I said, 2nd throw out bearing was installed wrong and squealed for a week until i could take it back, 3rd syncros still wernt right.
during the 3rd trip they took my car out for a joy ride and wrecked it.

4th time i went to wholesale in new ken. the guy owns dsms and knows how to put them back together. thank god b/c i wasa a the end of my ropes.

all said and done i was ABOUT $2’300 -850 cottman -800 tre rebuilt race tranny -750 wholesale (2 r&r labor new shift cables)

dang, I gotta get into trans rebuilding, there’s some serious cash exchanged

i think jimmys nuts 2100 and you pay for what you get that thing shouldnt be back at the shop for that price call pewter he will have hodge fix it and he is awsome

hodge is awesome and great price

I had my 4L60E rebuilt at Birocco’s Transmissions in Ambridge shortly after I got my Z28. The insides were totally shot thanks to the previous owner’s borked up shift kit install. They replaced pretty much everything and it’s been holding up pretty well after about 50+ 1/4 mile passes. $1800 out the door. It leaked a little bit about a month after the rebuild so I brought it back. It turned out to be the tranny cooler lines not being torqued down enough. I also wanted to have them put a high stall converter in it but they told me I didn’t need one unless I had AT LEAST a cam and gears. I was a n00b to auto tranny’s so I didn’t know any better. Knowing what I know now I would have insisted on the converter. Overall though, I’m happy with them.

dam im glad im not the only one who got f ed by cottmans !! they rebuilt my 85 monte carlo’s th350 and F-ed it up bigtime 2300 total bill for a car that cost 3,000 !!! they gave me a warrenty and i had to go back 2 weeks later becase the shifter linkage bracket broke and they said that it was never on there when i brought it in ??? fing fags i hope that company gets sued

Yeah somsone should sticky this thread for anyone else considering going to cottmans.

Why to most people on this board this is common knowledge?

fuck, i got screwed by Stans Trannsmission. Their down in East Mckeesport and were friends of my neighbors shop. This was almost 10 years ago but fuck that place. I still want to burn their shop down.

needless to say my dad almost got into a fist fight with the owner for pulling shit . The car wouldnt shift when running but the clutch worked bc my dad drove it the WHOLE WAY BACK in 2nd gear. They said I bought the wrong clutch, REPLACED THE CLUTCH according to them, and THREW OUT my old one when we asked for it back so we could return it ALL with out asking us to do so. Then charged us for a clutch.

Then I went back bc the fucker wouldnt go into 5th/reverse. Still no fifth, call guy back, Tells me that Im an ass hole and I left his shop like an asshole. And he “was voiding my warranty bc he doesnt like the way i drive” I pretty much told him to suck a fucking cock onthe phone and hung up. Months later, speedo gear explodes thru the bell housing. Oddly enough, the shiftter was hitting the fucking exhaust shielding and I fix it in like 5 seconds.

Similar thing happened to a friend who had work done there, his 700rf jsut exploded. We contemplated tossing our transmissions thru their windows or something drastic. But we wised up and just went on our way. Hell I bought a tranny with 150k on it that was supposedly not rebuilt ever and it lasted till i scrapped the car. Not a single grind.

Just wondering but has anyone contacted the BBB about Cottmans? I mean with so many complaints you think they would be out of business by now? :dunno:

lol

Read the post again, Sparky.

Hint: Pay attention to what he’s quoting.

X3 = Hodge is great, and prices cannot be beat!

Parents tranny is going out on their 2000 Town & Country. Going to recommend Gillece. What’s their diagnostic fee like? Chrysler is $68 which is to be expected.