Drifting question. Kinda?

From what i gather drifting was origionally used by racers in japan to avoid collisions and other such on track mishaps, then transformed into its own sport.

My question is, How can going into a drift save your ass from running into a pile up ahead of you, wouldnt it just give a wider base to be smacked on
??? Anyone have any vids of this actually working,

I am confused :lost:

Last time I checked I heard it orignated in the touge…

When people took corners fast their rear ends would kick out… they figured it looked cool so they turned it into a show-off sport…

:dunno:

drifting actually originated in canada.

Never mind, I was wrong you were mostly rigth

Many attribute the return of drifting as a competitive sport to mountain-road racers of rural Japan. Informal challenges on back mountain roads (called Touge) eventually evolved into a heavily funded and advertised competitive events, sanctioned by organizations and held on private tracks. Drifting began in the United States in 1996 with an event in California hosted by the magazine Option, but it did not become popular until around 2002, and has since exploded into a massively popular form of motorsport. Japanese drifters are still considered to be at the cutting edge of technique and car development, but their American counterparts are quickly catching up.

As rumor has it, Keiichi Tsuchiya was in a car race, and was dead last. He decided to swing the car around the corners, shocking and amazing the crowd. When accessed later for comment, Tsuchiya called it “drifting.” While this is not the origin, it is probably where it obtained its name and introduction.

damn where did i read that freaking accedent thing.

No, no you got it mixed up with migrating refugees drifting to Canada.

No, no you got it mixed up with migrating refugees drifting to Canada.[/quote]

exactly!t :lol:

Drifting as we know it originated in Japan.

“Drifting” started in rally afaik.

Uh… anyone that knows their shizznit knows that drifting did not originate in Japan…

It was the only way around a corner when tire technology capped the grip that cars had in the hey-days of racing. Even F1 cars were hella sideways.

Anyway, back to “new” drifting and it’s new definition…

Yes it’s a driving style born on the mountains and rally, because

a) Drifting is a lot more ‘safe’ becuase you’re not on the threshold of grip… if you were going fast and lose it understeering, you basically fly off the mountain! It’s much easier to “spin it out” and avoid a bad situation.

b) If you understand and have a grasp of performance driving, you can apply drift as another competitive edge. It can be used to block passing maneuvers, and even the drift King himself built a name for himself by showing the practical application of drifting in door-to-door racing, even using drift to PASS! That’s why he is Dorikin!

c) For guys that wanted to go faster, it was quicker to get sideways and do those fast switchbacks by being sideways.

d) Togue lifestyle is not what D1 professional drifting is about… some guys have no aspirations of being “the best” and being a competitor. They take a more recretional approach to things and enjoy the ride and the company of people that enjoy the challenge of driving a mountain pass

e) It damn looks so cool!

Jover is the Canadian DORIKIN!!!

all hail

I’m sorry but I’ll have to disagree.

Sasha > Jover

:o

cars have been sliding into corners forever

sliding out of them has just recently become popular :stuck_out_tongue:

i think drifting as competition is a bad idea though… just too much politics etc etc. drifting out of corners is fun, and sometimes drifting into corners is faster! that should be the end of it imo

we drift cause we love it, thats it.

once anyhting is turned into a business there is always politics, theres no such thing as too much politics because it goes from no politics, right to too much, cause in reality any amopunt is too much, buts thats the world we live in, its not as obvious in everything we do but once a $ sign is attached to something it transforms its material, and its participants/audience

eh… lets go drifting, if everyone knew how to drift than people wouldnt understeer and crash all the time, on the other hand if everyone knew how to drift, people would collide trying to slide through every intersection, yet thats what alot of ppl do…

you’re all wrong!, i invented it 6 years ago when i first got a job at an ice rink driving a zamboni! so screw you all i win!

:stuck_out_tongue:

I think I can safely say that this kid is obviously the inventor of drifting. He beats your zamboni skills!!

http://members.rennlist.com/adamation/fddce177.gif

I’m sorry but I’ll have to disagree.

Sasha > Jover

:o[/quote]

Jover > Gonad

1000% Max!!!111111ONE!11

[quote=“newbieracer”]

Many attribute the return of drifting as a competitive sport to mountain-road racers of rural Japan. Informal challenges on back mountain roads (called Touge) eventually evolved into a heavily funded and advertised competitive events, sanctioned by organizations and held on private tracks. Drifting began in the United States in 1996 with an event in California hosted by the magazine Option, but it did not become popular until around 2002, and has since exploded into a massively popular form of motorsport. Japanese drifters are still considered to be at the cutting edge of technique and car development, but their American counterparts are quickly catching up.

As rumor has it, Keiichi Tsuchiya was in a car race, and was dead last. He decided to swing the car around the corners, shocking and amazing the crowd. When accessed later for comment, Tsuchiya called it “drifting.” While this is not the origin, it is probably where it obtained its name and introduction.

does anyone have a vid clip of Keiichi Tsuchiya being dead last in the race and drifitng at the end? i wanna see the first time reactions of people and how is drifting has changed since.

Somewhere in my old backups of HD’s from the 90’s I have a short clip of Dorikin actually executing a “drift pass” in an Advan sponsored race car.

That information stated above is actually a lil “urban legended”. Dorikin actually raced in Nascar (roadcourse) once and drove but a spin put him dead last. He demonstrated “drift” then, and that was his North American debut.

The funny thing is, i remember that first “Drift Competition” in the USA. The coverage of it was like 2 pages in Turbo and Hi-tech performance magazine.

post them if and when you can find them. I would really like to see this.

The latest issue of super street comes with a free option DVD that has a section about the history of D1 and its all about kiechi… It has clips from the 80’s and his first drifting in his road racing days. It’s only $8.99! SICK DEAL