drifting?

this season i finally got my sr installed and did the basics to her… but this spring im looking to maybe get into the drift events mainly because i wanna put some of what ive done to good use and not just showing off a bov to 75 year old ladies on the side of the street, with that said i have very little to NO experience drifting and all my friends drive fwd honda’s
and VW’s so i cant really ask them…

how do you drift?

they all tell me “just turn sharp and hammer the gas”

so i tried that… lol didnt really get the outcome i was looking for, so i figure that bare minimum 70% of this club has indeed drifted :stuck_out_tongue: and i was just looking for some advice

lol

and some one tell me if geting into a comp with a little under half a season experience is realistic? what did it take you (the average drifter) to learn?

adam

come out on saturday and I’ll show you personally.

http://www.son240sx.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29182

driver ur car in the winter and learn.

watch the drift bible!!!

^with winter tires, in a parking lot with snow after hours.

lol thanks for the help but i was looking for a little more detail like maybe rpm info GEAR info

and definatly the does and dont’s of drifting

example:

19600 rpm in 1st gear on a highway off ramp… in rush hour traffic

…that falls under the donts of drifting… i think

adam

:stupid:

:worf:

Drifting is taking a corner with the rear tires having no traction while having the front wheels pointing (countersteering) in the direction you want to go and having your vehicle at higher angle than the car would normally take the corner while gripping.

You can choose either to show drift (having most angle, slide as early as possible and catch grip as late as possible) or race drift where you need to drift in order to shave time off your cornering speed (only in some cituations)

Understeering is NOT drifting. Powersliding IS show drifting. Initiating the drift by using various techniques is drifting, people always say powersliding is not drifting but its basically what every drift consists of after some point or another through the corner. Using momentum to drift without pressing on the gas and letting centrifugal forces take their toll and than catch grip I guess is the only thing thats not powersliding.

Giving too much gas and braking heavyly can cause understeer, perfection of drifting consits alot mainly of smooth action. Drifting is a flow of force which you control by giving hints of control through your vehicles power and steering abilities. Drift setup is important such as tire pressures, qualities, and of course, having your brains where they are supposed to be.

Wow i got bored and wrote this… heh… found pics on drifting.ru… hope this helps…

http://drifting.ru/driftFac/frdriftangle.jpg

http://drifting.ru/driftFac/Weight_Dist_Drift.jpg

Heel Toe Shifting
Learn proper race shifting to get your car into the right gear for drifting. Section also includes double clutch shifting so you can downshift before drifting without blowing out your transmission too quickly.

Power Over Drift
A throttle induced drift, this is performed when entering a corner and using the accelerator to slip the rear wheels, producing heavy oversteer through the turn. You will often need lots of horsepower to make this happen.

E-Brake Drift
This drifting technique is very basic, pull the E-Brake or side brake to induce rear traction loss and balance drift through steering and throttle play. This can also be used to correct errors or fine tune drift angles. Main drift technique used in FWD vehicles, however since it does decrease speeds, e-brake drifting is looked down upon during solo (tansou) type drifting competition.

Clutch Kick Drift
This drifting technique is performed by depressing the clutch pedal on approach or during turn in to a corner. The clutch is “popped” to give a sudden jolt through the driveline to upset rear traction, causing the power wheels to slip. Drifting is maintained by balancing the throttle.

Shift Lock Drift
This is performed by letting the revs drop on downshift into a corner and then releasing the clutch to put stress on the driveline to slow the rear tires inducing over steer. This is like pulling the E-brake through a turn, but this should be performed on wet ground to minimize damage to the driveline. Similar drifting technique to Clutch Kicking.

Dirt Drop Drift
This is performed by dropping the rear tires off the road into the dirt to maintain or gain drift angle without losing power or speed and to set up for the next turn. This technique is very useful for low horsepower cars. Do not attempt this technique at the Drift Session.

Feint Drift
This is performed by rocking the car towards the outside of a turn and then using the rebound of the vehicle’s suspension to throw the car into the normal cornering direction. This is heavy rally racing technique used to change vehicle attitudes during cornering.

Jump Drift
In this technique the rear tire on the inside of a turn or apex is bounced over a curb to lose traction resulting in over steer. Do not attempt this technique at the Drift Session.

Braking Drift
This is performed by trail braking into a corner. Loss of grip is obtained and then balanced through steering and throttle motions. This is mainly for medium to low speed corners.

Kansei Drift
This is performed at race speeds. When entering a high speed corner a driver lifts his foot off the throttle to induce a mild oversteer and then balances the drift through steering and throttle motions. The car that is being used for this style of drift should be a neutral balanced car therefore the oversteer will induce itself. If the car plows through any turn this technique will not work.

Long Slide Drift
This is done by pulling the E-brake through a strait to start a high angel drift and to hold this to set up for the turn ahead. This technique can only be done at high speed.

Swaying Drift (Manji Drift)
This is a slow side-to-side faint like drift where the rear end sways back and forth down a strait.

Credit for techniques to driftsession of hawaii…

Interesting read, good post, I didnt know drifting is still popular around here :roll:

the best way to drift…

go to a place where it has the most school kids during the day…like around a school and take corners really fast and try to avoid hitting the kids by “drifting” around them

lol alesserfate gave u the DICTIONARY of drifting… but u suhld really just watch drift bible at least a few times … and u shuld practice in snow so u can get use to ur car… (of course in a parkinglot) … or u can go to enyaw drift op event and he will show/teach ya? lol anyways gl

the first rule of “drift” club is there is no “drift” club! LOL thats how this forum is :slight_smile: so yeah … drifting is not for the streets …etc… take it to the track and be safe … etc…

Aim for the biggest tree in sight and punch the gas. If you are driving a JDM Tyte 240SX simply let go of the steering wheel, it will drift around the tree all by itself. If you hit the tree, then I’m sorry, but you are not JDM Tyte enough. Try again.

• I assume no responsability for the stupidity of others.

This is the best way for me to explain drifting…

It’s called drifting. If you ain’t outta control, you ain’t in control.

http://son.my240.com/fnf3.jpg

lmao

:picard:

practices makes perfect… keep trying it, just make sure you don’t do it when there are old ladies around and somewhere safe…

sigh, i tried all those tips and they didnt work and ended up understeering into a curb

thanks a lot assholes

turbozee = Alan-240?

“It’s called drifting. The cars are lighter, the tires are slick.”

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k312/lucidsnow/2pac2furious.jpg

rotfl. Try first practicing in a parking lot late at night where there is no soul aorund? I’ve only hit the curb once, and that was while backing up in heavy rain unable to see whats what @(#(# I almost cried when I heard the bump of the tire onto the curb :cry: And never again thank God hehe.

Dorifto… if you get it once… you’ll get it all the time… the difficult thing is to get it the first time around…

Practicing in rain is good… (AGAIN… don’t do it on public roads unless you want to run the risk of hitting someone or being hit by someone).

Crappy rear tires help lol… when I had to replace my one rear tire recently, I ran a shitty tire… it made drifting soooo easy… A less grippy tire is good to make the car slide… even if you have low power.