DriftNation suggestions

Well another drift season has ended. I would like to thank you for the support you’ve given us throughout the year.

For those that did not get a chance to participate in the events this year, what was stopping you?
We want to make the drifting community grow in Canada and to do that, we need more drivers to come out and build their skills.

If you have any suggestions on what we can do to make you guys come out, then please let us know!

thanks.
DN

Congradulations goes out to Adam (aka Shift_sr20det) for placing in second place in the DK4 mini competition!

I came out to DK2 and DK4. Both were fun and as usual I’ve learned
quite a bit. Guess it just takes more practice to get better (I don’t
normally go out at night and drift in open lots so I had little to no practice).

Anywho, I still like to go but my two main concerns are: Cost and Location.

$50 or $60 is reasonable. But $75 is a bit too much. I know it takes a lot
of time and effort to run such an event but anywho, price is one thing.

Then it’s location. I don’t mind Mosport. It’s an hour drive. No biggie.
But Shannonville? That’s 250KM away. The cost of gas, and the fear of
something breaking down are my biggest concern.

Just to give you an idea, I average about 10KM per $1. So a whole tank
worth of gas for one event is what I go through.

If the track was closer, I wouldn’t mind the $75 fee.

well put and I know the the distance is a huge issue for everyone but the truth of the matter is, we don’t have a lot of options.

mosport DDT track is pretty booked solid throughout the season for the Bridgstone racing school on weekends and even still, that costs even more than shannonville.

There’s the Dunnville track, but again, that costs a little more and is about 2hours away from Toronto.

when we can be assured beyond a reasonable doubt that more and more people come out to events, we can begin to lower prices; even as it is, we’re not even breaking even… =/

You have to pay to play. Simple as that, untill things get bigger in Canada like Wayne said.

Alberto is doing one heck of a job considering interest is still very low. I had a blast at DK3 and would have been at DK4 if my car wasn’t in an accident. The Driftnation events are very well organized and safe. You can rest assure I will try and make all of them next year. Its alot more fun when you don’t have to worry about cops getting mad at you messing in open parking lots.

I tend to see that most people on this board can talk the talk, but they don’t walk the walk. When you say your cars not finished, it doesn’t matter. Come out and work with what you have, noone here is a pro and they don’t need highly tuned suspension to learn the basics and build on them. Maurice is one of the best examples. He could drift better then I could when he had an open diff. Tyler still has an open diff and he didn’t seem to have any problems getting his car sideways. Simple fact is you don’t need any mods to learn and have fun.

As far as I’m concerned most of these people with “drift” in their name on the boards are all a bunch of posers. I am not attacking anyone, nor do I want to start any arguments. I just ask, WHY? Why does everyone talk about how they are going to drift, but don’t? There are well organized events right under your noses. You must be stupid not to take advantage of them!

Driftnation, keep up the good work and keep the dream going. Eventually enough people in Canada will get drawn to this motorsports. Its just a matter of time. You guys are doing all the right thinks, I have no suggestions as of now. I’ll let you know Wayne if I think of anything :slight_smile:
But you guys are doing everything right in my eyes.

Andrew.

I bet a lot of people find that they can just go out at night and drift in an
open parking lot or some other private lot of theirs and have their fun
that way.
And if they wan’t attention they can just kick their rear end out a little
taking a left turn at a street light. :roll:

So I guess they feel they don’t really need to spend the $75 or spend the
2-3hrs driving to get to a track to do the same.

I would make one other suggestion. I think a way to get people more
interest is to not make it a ‘class’ but rather an event/compeition.

When people know they are working towards something other then
personal achievement/goal/satisfaction, which in this case is a prize
reward, then they will be more willing to participate.

So make every drift event a competition. Try getting sponsors who can
donate prizes. Like DK4. It was great how you threw in a little
competition at the end. I know this is putting more stress on your budget
if you can’t get sponsors but it’s worth a try perhaps?

I think the mentality of many on this board is
“I don’t need to take classes. I already know how to drift”..
So in going with that, get rid of the whole ‘class’ thing and just have
competition.

Freestyle 1st half, Competition 2nd half. Your instructors are always on
hand to give suggestions/tips and they can do this during the freestyle session.

I’m atleast 250 kms from Toronto and another 250 to Shannonville makes 500. So for a round trip I’ve got 1000kms to drive, 2-3 tanks of fuel and the fact that if I break down, I’m 500kms away with no ride home.

If it weren’t for the fact that I live so far away, I’d be at every class. Heck, I’d even be happy paying $100 per class.

well we’re gonna try for some events in both the east and west end

east being Shannonville and Mosport

west being Dunville and maybe Cayuga

for me it was almost entirely a location thing,

like G. said, how hard can you really drive hard when you know you’ll be screwed if you break anything,

if the event was REALLY close to my house i would pay $75 no problem.

speaking of shit breaking down…:frowning: if it were not for some of the guys at driftnation I woulda been screwed. The distance is a real killer. IF Alex did not have the stuff he had I woulda been totally screwed. Price 50-60 is good, 75 seems alot to pay for only a few hours, but when you factor in that most people have to pay another 40-60 just to drive out there the whole thing goes up in price. It is well organized I must say and I enjoy these events. Is there anyway to find a better location? Book a year in advance maybe or something so that we are guarenteed to have track time? I think many more people would end up comming out. Anyway, good work on the 2 events that I came out to.

I would also like to say good work on the DX2. I know that was a while back, but Driftnation put it on, and I hope they are/have something planned for next year.

I guess the biggest reason would be distance for most people. Driving 500-1000 kms round trip is just too far to justify going, so some people just prefer the empty lots they have found and continue to drift in.

The Biggest Issue I see is the mentality of people…

Like Gautam said, People see it as I Already know how to Drift…
Why Should I Spend $200 in a weekend to Drift when I can do
it for free on the Street or in a Parking lot.

Well let me tell you, to the people who have never done it on a track, It
stopped me dead in my tracks from ever doing it again on the street or
parking lot’s. I don’t even waste my time or take the risk. The Few times
I made it out to the track this year to drift beats any parking lot or street
corner. Get out there, give it a shot and you will see what im rambeling about.

It’s just that a lot of people are really busy, really broke, and really worried about something happening to their car.
Like me for example, I have zero time. I have less than zero time…
Hand in hand with zero time, goes zero money, since I can’t work as much as others.
Then with having zero time and money… comes more worry about something happening to your car. Because really, where am I gonna get the time and money to fix it?

Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE to come and learn how to drift. I have no clue how, I’ve only just started driving a RWD. I’d love for someone to teach me heel and toe (yea… I AM a freakin n00b :D), and all the other things you pretty much HAVE to know to call yourself a real driver, but I can’t… I really can’t :frowning: Life is such a kick in the pants… But summer will come, and then I will have time, and money, so I will be able to come. Too bad that I bought my car right after summer ended :frowning:

I totally understand where you’re coming from. I also forgot to mention that people just aren’t as interested in drifting as once thought.

Drifting on the track is way better than the street… you can go totally
balls out and not worry about hurting anyone else, getting caught by the
police, or smashing your car into any of the numerous obstacles in street
drifting.

The problem for me this year was dates for the 2 driftnation track days.

One was on a Wednesday during the summer when I was working a full time
job, and the other two were after I had already put the car away and
gone off to school…

Lastly, to Andrew… you CANNOT drift an open diff. Please stop calling it
drifting.

If you don’t believe me read here http://www.ziptied.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1842&start=0

OPEN DIFF CANNOT DRIFT… you can start learning how to control the car
but untill you upgrade you can’t drift.

yea you can’t drift on a open diff.

you’re just going to have fun peg legging.

oh and i made it up to the first dd event and it looked well run. i can’t wait to see the same people and how they have progressed

Thanks for all the input guys!

Not to start a whole debate or anything, but Open diff IS driftable IMO. But to be competitive with an open diff is not possible. Power over drifts with open diff is not possible. Things you can to do drift open diff would be using weight transfer and the ebrake and maybe shift lock.

But if you are serious about drifting, you will need an lsd of some sort.

would you guys be happy with larger parking lot events ? not just donuts and J -turns but lots big enough to run 2nd and 3rd gear courses on. The thing with parking lot sessions is that they tend to cost a little more due to insurance reasons, but on the other hand, they would be much closer than shannonville or dunville.

i’d show but my car is constantly broke…don’t ask me why, i’m nothing but nice to my money whore!

Just say no to open diffs and parking lot drifting…

The track is simply the only way we will get good…

And open diff cant drift, you can slide it around but its not drifting… its
almost as bad as FF assdraging…

Anyways stick to track events and skill in Canada will increase at a much
faster pace. Parking lot events are fine for n00bs to learn donuts and
basic car control skills, but as time goes by, most of us are interested
in more than that… ie. TRACK DRIFTING…

Do it up.

I agree, you can’t get as competitive but you can drift it. Don’t exclude them because maybe someone wants to try it out without an LSD, just to see what drift competition is like.

Wow someone hates open diffs. For someone that has never driven an open diff car they sure talk alot. I think everyone should learn weight transfer with an open diff before getting an LSD. Would cut down on alot of the power over queens.

I agree open diff isn’t competitive at all, you will need a VLSD/LSD to be competitive. But then again alot of people with LSD’s can’t do very much at all. And explain to me why open diff is ass draging? Oh right you can’t floor it and get sideways. Sorry, your right Andrew.

Nik, get a VLSD and stop saying you want to try competition with an open diff. Its alot easier with a VLSD, and you’ve been driving with an open diff for a while, I’m sure you understand the basics of weight transfer now. Get the VLSD it makes life a little easier :slight_smile:

Andrew.