Drift series at shannonville next season, whos down?

I think it would be a pretty cool thing to have here in Ontario. I know cscs already has a comp but the amount of track time you get fucking SUCKS balls, i think everybody would agree on that. When Wayne (drift ops) hosts a event i theres always soooo much track time, even with 35+ cars…So what if there would be x amount of drift days and at the middle or end of each day there would be a comp on different sections of nelson and fabi. Have it classed…like Awsome, double awsome and too wicked. So you can get some of the lower dollar cars and drivers the chance to win a 1st. But then comes the question if somebodys hosts these event, will people actually come out??? Even have some small cash payouts for each event will give some incentive…like 1st is 75$ 2nd gets 50$ and 3rd get 25$…thats not too much money but i’d be happy with having my gas payed for. If there could be a turn out like the last 2 days wayne did then this could be a fun fucking season.

thoughts???

Yes, because CSCS is gay.

I would say pat and brad would be good judges.

You seem to go drift at every cscs event tho…

but ya this would be kool, I am hoping to get out a bunch this year, wreckin them tires and rubbin paint

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Maybe like a dmcc event or setup? (for the low budget car guys)
friday night fun at the park, saturday practice and fun and sunday like a comp.

but if it is going to be a low price fun thing then do a 8am toam thing first 6 hours fun and practise then the comp at the end.

my 2 cents

i just want to get sideways

im 100% down… have gone to similar practice/comp days at shanny before…

btw team <DA> was you the bumperless kouki s14 at last shanny event? (oct 31)

down to pwn

Obviously down for this

good idea.

yes…what car were you in? the white silvia?

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

So i really wanna make this happen this year. But theres gonna be a bunch of people concerned about rules and shit. Yes some things should be enforced for basic safety…heltmets, gloves, fire extinguisher, keep your shit in good order etc…Also there is the cage issue for tandems. My s14 is caged with door bars (cost me about 400 bux in tubing, 30 bux for weld plates another 30 to make gussets and a couple months of weekends. Built to basic CASC specs, 1.5 DOM, 1/4 wall with plates 6x6, 1/8 thIick) i would highly recommend anybody who wants to compete in tandem do the same. But not make it necessary…as to give everybody a chance to get thier feet wet…really fucking wet. I dont wanna copy the DMCC or FD rule book, then noooooooooooooooooobody will come out. This is grassroots drifting not some homo pro 60000hp mopar camaro show. I wanna aim to keep it as low cost as possible to compete. This way everybody gets a chance regardless of your car and budget.

Thouhts on safety, rules, costs and shit?

I think the idea of caging the car is going to be hard for some, if not most, to get their head around. Or at least the people like me, who daily drive their cars, but like ripping on the track as well. Helmets, gloves, fire extinguisher and all that basic stuff is a must without a doubt.

I think leaving tandem open would be best (aka caged and non caged) but leave it up to the driver or even then judges to decide if he/she is safe/skilled enough to compete in tandem without a cage? Or maybe have a caged tandem class, and then have a non caged tandem class? Just some idea’s…

I agree with Jplatt for the most part.

I myself daily my car gets me to and from work and my kids to school or w/e else i have to do. can’t at this point be bothered to cage my car although a possibility in the future i just want to go out and slide with out a million safety regulations. i think its a great idea tho for those maybe wanting to take things up to a higher level of serious driving.

im for sure game for this season tho either way.

in my eyes as a must for safety to be able to touch the track people should have helmets, fire resistant gloves and fire extinguisher pass a safety inspection prior to entering and the usual safety meet with all drivers maybe a quick lesson on proper safety for those new to the game like safe way to pass if applicable etc.

Haha here we go again…

I like this idea. We’ve tried it with mediocre results.

I’m on vacation until Monday so I’ll post up some more info/thoughts then.

[QUOTE=team <DA>;3149583]yes…what car were you in? the white silvia?[COLOR=“Silver”]

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

[/QUOTE]

ye i was the bumperless sil… somehow we kept getting grouped together lol, it was lots of fun tho… you made me drive 10 times harder and i definately learnt alot that day because of it… looking forward to more tandem with you next season…

as for safety and cost and such i dont think theres any issue with what weve been doing for the last couple years…
im 100% down to pay whatever it is extra to have use of the skid pad everytime were at shanny… anyone whos news to drifting should start on the skid pad

Fuck the skidpad. if people want to get their feet wet the track is a great place to start. IMO skidpad is a waste of money. I’d rather put the extra cash towards getting ‘full-track’ circuit going. If newer drivers are afraid of mixing it up with vets, the track is almost always wide open somewhere for someone to get in without having vets bear down on them. And honestly, you go to grip days, there’s alot of driver education on basic etiquette such as passing, signalling, flags and just overall behavior. New drivers need not start on skidpad, they just need a basic run through on basic track etiquette. Alot of the ontario-based drivers who are considered veterans all started at shannonville when it didnt even have a skidpad. I dont think there’s a need to waste money on it unless there’s the demand for it. and i dont mean 1 or 2 guys who are nervous. I honestly mean like at least 4 or 5 drivers who are committed to using the pad.

i disagree, it is a lot easier for a complete noob to just get the feeling of counter steering on a skid pad then having to do it on a track with other cars to think about, also going off the track and causing damage. also Im not aware of the shannonville layout but most courses are more high speed corners, tight drifts on the skid pad should be done before attempting to drift a corner with a 300ft radius

just my opinion

A skid pad is just for doing donuts basically. Any parking lot at night is a skid pad. Shannonville has only 1 high speed corner, nelson turn 0. Only a few people are own it, the rest of shit is maybe top of 3rd to some 2nd…for s chassis and ae86 as far as i know. If your new then ask one of the more experienced driver to ride with you and they’d be more than happy to show you basic things. Come out, bring your friends, bring your pets, bring beer, bring a skateboard, a car and have fun. Its easy!

Seriously. My first day was on the track, my second day i was told i wouldnt be allowed on the track until i went through the skidpad. I wasnt too happy but i gave it a shot. Between my first track day and second i didnt feel like i learned anything on the skidpad, i sat out most of my time on it and jumped on the track my first chance and thats when i feel i improved and had the best time and i dont believe i interfered with any of the experienced drivers at the time.

Just practice in your local warehouse parking lots with the permission of the owner and knock yourself out.

That’s where you learn the most and try shit out, then go to track and have a blast!

Be safe!

meh.

the WORST thing you can do is try to do ANOTHER drift thing.

get behind something and support it… if people keep trying to do another variation of the same thing then nothing grows. With the exception of DMCC there has basically been ZERO progress in drifting in Ontario in the last 8 years and it’s because of the mentality behind things like this thread… and when “SOMEONE ON HERE” says he hates CSCS (in this thread) even though it was basically him that made it suck by being a douchebag on the track in his (non-240sx) doing donuts behind the driver’s during competition.

make CSCS better, don’t try to compete with it because if people don’t support CSCS then they’ll stop doing drift and whatever idea you have will not get anywhere because Ontario amatuer drifters have never ever been able to collaborate on anything of substance… Then you wont even have CSCS… there are already guys here who hate on CSCS and don’t participate. Those guys and people like them are the reason drifting isn’t getting anywhere

heck, you guys can’t even support a forum that is drift focused… www.candrift.com is fucking dead… I gave dozens of guys all the hate-ammunition they needed to get that one going too :slight_smile:

my idea:

There needs to be other sanctioned drift events, no question, but who will sanction it? I think CSCS should look at sanctioning another event or two and count the points. Have Wayne and D-ops cooridinate and Chris P. can just show up if he wants to.

Where???

There is a little known event in the US that is just over the border that is suitable. It’s been on my agenda to make that connection but i just havent had the time. I need to talk to Chris P about other shit anyways. Then find one more track and WALLA you have a 3 track series…even just 2 would be fine.

Shannonville will never work because you can’t get spectators out and if you have no audience you have no revenue and if you have no revenue then there is no reason for anyone else to be there other than the drivers who, as i have mentioned, have historically been unable to collaborate in any meaningful way.

use Shanny for practice and then CSCS to prove it.

At this point, like Bing has said, if everyone keeps trying to make another sanction nothing will get anywhere.

I gave ample opportunities for many to even get a small community to grow…clearly they couldn’t even do that. Having a somewhere where everyone could simply connect on the same level was apparently too challenging.

Our focus should be on what has already caught wind for amateurs…CSCS and BATB

Both small events, EASILY attendable and very affordable…and most importantly the best way for amateur drifting to go anywhere.
I personally don’t like how certain things are done during the drifting sessions we have for CSCS, BUT because I’m an active member of many communities here I support where I can and provide what I can - let it be a hand or even suggestions. Why? Because without supporters you have nothing…

Instead of hate talk and petty bickering why not build, support, volunteer and do your part for the community you so “strongly” live by…

That’s my opinion of the “grass root” mentality people have leveled off at at this point in the Ontario drifting scene.