drivetrain issues?

Hi everyone,
Ok so i m going down the road when i press on the gas and the rpms go up
but the power to wheels is barely 50%… wht do u think could be wrong?
i m guessing differential or driveshaft??

help me plzz n thanx

btw its a 90 240sx!

Is it a manual transmission? Sounds like you need a new clutch, heh

• Mike

its manual alrite but the clutch is pretty stiff!

ne idea how much would it cost ??

depends if you do it yourself or not

you mean the pedal is stiff. Your clutch is blown and slipping, so you need to replace it.
you will likely have to re-surface the flywheel as well.

If you take it to a shop, they will probably charge you around $800. The clutch pack itself should only cost around $150-$200. just to give you an idea

If you have done it before removal and reinstall takes only about 3 hours with experienced people, for a first timer you can easily be under that car 6 7 or 8 hours.

That is almost 100% a clutch. I have had 3 cars go through clutches and I can definatly say that sounds like a clutch! If it was a driove shaft or axle or diff, you wouldn’t really have some of the power being transfered to the wheels, it would kind of be all or nothing(in most cases).

I have never done a clutch, just helped with one on a truck, but a RWD clutch job will definatly take a couple hours for a trained profesional. Like someone allready said the clutch is only a couple hundred, it’s the labour that kills you!!

Does anyone have a helpful link to doing the clutch your self to help him out? You can easily save hundreds of dollars by doing one days work, but I don’t know if you will need any special tools to do it??

test it out, rev it up and just dump it, if your tires start smoking its good and if nothing happens clutch time :lol:

thanx guys, i have concluded that it is the clutch…
:frowning: just got the tools and everything tomorrow nite i ll start on it.
But the sticky thread does give me some help and some technical books…
if need some help i ll be counting on the good buddys of NECC!!!

till next time…

CHEERS! :E

http://www.n-e-c-c.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1390 :E

ok so the car is up on stands, but how do i drain the fluid? is it the bolt on the bottom part of the tranny?

one more thing how do i get the shifter out???
:?

You ask this and your pulling your tranny out yourself? :huh

If your too cheap, then yes, it’s the bolt on the bottom. It will be a fairly big one.

You don’t need to drain your transmission fluid, but it’s not a bad idea.

for the shifter, remove the shift knob and such in the car and you will be able to see the bolts for it. I can’t remember if there are 4 or 6 bolts.

You don’t need to drain your transmission fluid, but it’s not a bad idea.[/quote]
You should cause it will all pour out of the tailshaft if you tilt the tranny back at all. Unless you know how the remove a transmission with the driveshaft still in it. :smiley:

Draining the fluid is overly neccesary, I personally like to do it everytime I do a clutch. If the fliud is still fine just throw a rage in the top of your tranny where the shifter goes to keep anything from falling in, that is crucial, nothing like getting a chunk of dirt or a rock in there. Then the rest is dismantle, I don’t know all about nissans as I haven’t done one yet. When it comes time to put the new clutch in remember you centering tool, its your best friend. Also take a good look at the flywheel for damage, ie. Blue heat spots, surface abrasions, cracks etc. and hopefully there aren’t any. If there is just hope its minimal and get it resurfaced. If your only changing the disc take a good look at you pressure plate as well to make sure none of the fingers are bent and that they are all even. Look at the plate itself too, because if its got heat spots or cracks or anything then I would look into replacing it as well if you aren’t already. Then after everything is done and looks good, put the new clutch in but make sure its not backward (don’t laugh I’ve seen this done). Other than that I hope it goes good for you and if you have any questions post them up.

Big thanx and Big ups for everyone’s support and i ll be doing it this weekend on christmas :frowning: and i ll let u know how it turned out… :smiley:

So how did the clutch turn out? Did you get it in?