removing clutch

can someone explain me in detail what i need to do if i wanna to remove a clutch…its nice outside today so its my day to work on my car…i cant live another day if i dont get to drive my 240.

-jack up car
-remove shifter
-remove driveshaft
-remove slave cylinder
-disconnect tranny wiring
-place jack under tranny cross member
-remove tranny cross member bolts
-remove bolts holding tranny to engine block (you’ll have to lower the jack to make the top bolts easier to get to)
-muscle the tranny out of the car, pretty hard to do by yourself, get a buddy to help
-once tranny is out there are 9 bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel

when you’re putting the tranny back in, jack the front of the engine up to tilt it back, makes it a lot easier.

you should be able to replace a clutch in an afternoon without much trouble.

thanx you…any photo???

Might be easier to take off the starter. Sometimes that gets in the way when you are trying to put the tranny back in. For some reason I have alot of trouble with the the “bearing” that goes around the driveshaft in, can be a real pain in the ass. The top to bolts on the tranny are kinda hard to get at so make sure you have alot of extensions for your rachet. Remember to get the torque specs for the flywheel and clutch.

oh yeah, forgot to mention the starter. definitely take that out too.

and for the bolts on the top of the tranny, what i found works best is a u-joint on the socket, then about a foot of extension from the u-joint to the ratchet.

it is always a pain in the ass, but when i put the hanger bearing for the driveshaft in i put one bolt in as loosely as possible without it falling out, then that gives you a lot more play to get the other in, then tighten each one down a 1/2" at a time.

You’re going to need the alignment tool as well.

Really, if you haven’t done it before, best to get someone that has to watch over you. Some things can be tricky (clutch fork spring for instance) and it sucks to put it all back together only have to do it all over again.

Getting someone who knows what they are doing to help you is definately a good idea. Check out this article though, this will help alot.

can someone explain me in detail what i need to do if i wanna to remove a clutch…its nice outside today so its my day to work on my car…i cant live another day if i dont get to drive my 240.

-jack up car
-remove shifter
-remove driveshaft
-remove slave cylinder
-disconnect tranny wiring
-place jack under tranny cross member
-remove tranny cross member bolts
-remove bolts holding tranny to engine block (you’ll have to lower the jack to make the top bolts easier to get to)
-muscle the tranny out of the car, pretty hard to do by yourself, get a buddy to help
-once tranny is out there are 9 bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel

when you’re putting the tranny back in, jack the front of the engine up to tilt it back, makes it a lot easier.

you should be able to replace a clutch in an afternoon without much trouble.

thanx you…any photo???

Might be easier to take off the starter. Sometimes that gets in the way when you are trying to put the tranny back in. For some reason I have alot of trouble with the the “bearing” that goes around the driveshaft in, can be a real pain in the ass. The top to bolts on the tranny are kinda hard to get at so make sure you have alot of extensions for your rachet. Remember to get the torque specs for the flywheel and clutch.

oh yeah, forgot to mention the starter. definitely take that out too.

and for the bolts on the top of the tranny, what i found works best is a u-joint on the socket, then about a foot of extension from the u-joint to the ratchet.

it is always a pain in the ass, but when i put the hanger bearing for the driveshaft in i put one bolt in as loosely as possible without it falling out, then that gives you a lot more play to get the other in, then tighten each one down a 1/2" at a time.

You’re going to need the alignment tool as well.

Really, if you haven’t done it before, best to get someone that has to watch over you. Some things can be tricky (clutch fork spring for instance) and it sucks to put it all back together only have to do it all over again.

Getting someone who knows what they are doing to help you is definately a good idea. Check out this article though, this will help alot.

hehehe there is still a fork spring lurking in my driveway somewhere! If you don’t have abs or AC you should be able to reach around behind the motor and loosen off that top bolt. I did mine with a 14mm box end wrench.