Replacing the Clutch

my clutch just went out in the my 91, just wondering if there are any “tricks” into pulling the tranny out, or changing the clutch in general. i have done a few clutchs before, never in a 240.

http://www.son240sx.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27315

I hope you have access to a hoist, if not I feel sorry for you.

bah hoists are for suckers. just make sure to plug up the tranny before taking it down, or you’ll get an MTF hair-doo… (seen that happen a few times to Mr.200)

Once the bellhousing bolts are off you gotta rotate the transmission about 180 degrees to the right otherwise the top of it won’t clear the tranny tunnel.

B-Wurm :smiley:

Since when do you need a hoist to do a tranny/clutch job?

i dont remember that being true. all i did was shake my tranny then pryed it and it fell straight to the floor.

yah, never had to rotate a tranny more that a giggle to get it off… getting in on again you have to tip it up a bit… but nothing near 180deg… or anything like that…

so sounds like it is pretty much a a simpely removing the tranny. now what about the clutch line, i have had a few problems in the past with the lines not wanting to come off?

Well it was closer to 90, but then it rotates 180 on its own anyway. I had limited space to work with so i couldn’t tilt the motor back any further to just pull it off.

B-Wurm :smiley:

you dont have to touch the clutch lines, you can just remove the slave off of the tranny. its 2 14mm bolts and thats it.

I just recently did mine. I really wouldnt want to do it on the ground. I had to rotate it to clear the tunnel wall and when putting it back on same deal. Its not easy by any means and laying under the car trying to do this would be a huge pain.

well just for anyones else who may be doing one in the future. it wasn’t too bad to get to the point to take the tranny out, the only real problem that i ran into, was trying to get the bolt off on the top of the tranny. but then it was just some twist and turning and some pulling, and a few f bombs and on the floor she was. tomorrow we will be putting her back in. cann’t wait.

well just for anyones else who may be doing one in the future. it wasn’t too bad to get to the point to take the tranny out, the only real problem that i ran into, was trying to get the bolt off on the top of the tranny. but then it was just some twist and turning and some pulling, and a few f bombs and on the floor she was. tomorrow we will be putting her back in. cann’t wait.

One of the trick I did was, we used the header pipe as a lever to tilt the engine more, so the tranny will clear to tunnel. But you have to be careful and not crack the header.

Or you can use a block of wood under the crank pully and jack it up (not too much as to bend the pully.

Get some one to help you when jacking it up, have them tell you when the tailstock stops going down, that is when you are at your max usable angle.

then use your knees under the tailstock and your hands on the bell. it is a friggen sinch man.

If you want a more exact description on how to do it the esiest way PM me. (or chris cause he is the one who showed me, and he has done more swaps than anyone here…)

There is a certain amount of rotating involved, i just dont remeber how much. I blew my clutch 4 days after i bought my car. Tranny came out easy, new clutch went on easy, but the tranny going back on was a different story. Got so frustrated i left it for 4 months. Got tired of riding the school bus so me and my friend gave it another shot. (its hard to lift a tranny into position off you chest when the car is on jack stands) All i remember about the tranny going in is my hand slipped, the tranny rotated on its own and slid into place.
It is a pain, but read everyones tips and your should be ok.