NEW TRANNY

hey im looking to buy a new tranny for my 240sx, its a 93 HB and i wanted to knw how easy or difficult it would be , it is an orginal 5 spd , im planning on doing the swap myself in the winter months, any advice would help, thanks Sunjay

if the engine is out of the car its a sinch…just un do all the tranny bolts and she comes right off…now if its on the car ur going to need to do this

undo all of the wiring harness connected to the tranny

undo the drive shaft where it meets the tranny

i would take ur shifter off. you can get at it from the inside of the car…there are six bolts, undo the 4 under the shift boot, then undo the last two under neath the car…unless u can manage to get the last two from inside

make sure ur tranny is properly supported with stands and or blocks of cement

undo tranny mounts

undo all of the tranny bolts…the top two are a bitch to get at. Be carfull not to strip them or anything, its not that hard, they are just in a tight spot

when all of the bolts are off…i forget how many but u will see them when ur doing it…the tranny will come off…u might want another person there as it weighs alot when ur underneath the car. You dont want that on u when no ones around…

now the tranny is out and u switch it for ur new one. Reverse the process and ur golden…

make sure you get a new clutch while ur at it…i would reccomend going to s14_2Nv he has good clutches at good prices…

and thats it bro

If its on the car…its not easy…Undo the tranny support bolts and pull down on the header and place a small peice of 2x4 between the floorn and the header…this will give you a bit more room at getting those tough bolts on the top of the tranny. thats my only advice.

to get tha top bolt easier, take off tha two nuts on tha tranny crossmember. then jack up tha end of tha tranny to tip tha engine forward.

helps alot to take off tha top bolt.

:-k Seriously?..I was told my numerious guys before i changed my clutch to jack upwards on the front of the motor…tilting the trans townwards which would give you a inch or so more room to get at the two top bolts on the tranny in the tranny tunnel area…Pulling down on the header not so much to bend or break something would pull the trans downwards giving you that extra room for big hands…Im sure some one can back me up on this…And since when did u talk like that?? I think your high as a kite! :salut: I salut you! I just dont see your method helping remove/insterting the tough bolts at the top.

actually i’m told both ways work well no matter how poorly typed

The top bolts can easily be undone with a quality (17mm or 14mm forget the size) universal joint.

bahahaha…

But anyway, yeah it was well put, but if the car is just going to be on jackstands you may be better off to use a floorjack to support the tranny and lower, and roll it out from under…

and well, will you re-use the clutch/PP/flywheel?

hoist = FTW

haha well was my last post really poorly typed? i dont know. it makes sense to me.

ANYWAYS REMEMBER TO DRAIN YOUR TRANNY OIL!!! before anything. or you will make a big mess.

not sure if that was stated above.**

^^^^^^^^^ What an illiterate homo 8) .but really you should drain your tranny fluid he got owned because he didnt.

It takes like 3 hours to do a clutch in a s13 on the floor of a garage. Don’t bother pulling the 6 bolts for the shifter thats a waste of time, you pull the 1 snap ring clip to remove the shifter. Use a long snap-on 14 12 on the top bolt to crack it loose the a ratchet wrench with a flex to get it out fast. Dump the gear oil before you pull the shaft.

ok thanks alot for the advice guys, helped me out alot, im actually getting a fairly new clutch and flywheel with my new tranny, so i shouldn’t need a brand new one?, thks again Sunjay

Nate your an animal… it takes me 4 months haha

me and a friend took about 6-7 hrs to pull the transmission out and put it back in … most of the time spent was lining back up the transmission.
Make sure u have help … the transmission isnt light.

me and a friend took about 6-7 hrs to pull the transmission out and put it back in … most of the time spent was lining back up the transmission.