drivetrain noise

ok i thought i had this figured out, but now that i have my car back its obvious its still there lol it happend when i got wheel hop at the track 2 summers ago… i was getting a whinning noise, almost like a “whiiiiiiiiirrrrrr” on deceleration, it doesn’t matter if its in neutral or if its in gear…but if i maintain constant speed or am accelerarting its not there. i THOUGHT it was the diff, so i had the guts replaced, but its not that. any ideas? output shaft? driveshaft? the tranny still shifts fine and no grinds or anything like that so i don’t think its anything TOO major :gotme:

Probably driveshaft -

Are you sure it’s not because you bought a dogbox with straight cut gears? lol

haha thats basically what it sounds like howie, but yea, def a stock trans in there :stuck_out_tongue:

r u sure the rear end was put together properly?

There is not a lot to that driveshaft, so I doubt it’s that, maybe the bearring in the rear of the tranny, where the driveshaft goes in, otherwise it might actually be in at the “wheel” end of the system (wheel bearings, brakes, etc.)

x…

sounds like a cam bearing

roflz

Eh mine does it… and it’s normal… but mine is also a transaxle.

well i know its not normal on mine cause it never did it until that wheel hop incident :stuck_out_tongue:

and yea the rear end was put together correctly, the noise is coming more from the center / front of the car from what i can tell

check your rocker arm stoppers or your valve guides

in all seriousness, check out the pilot bearing when you change the clutch disc.

I would have thought for sure you would have said drive shaft ^ Xander had some noise issues with his truck at one time that we thought were certain form the rear end. after replacement…nope, drive shaft universal :smash2: had they guys over at that place on walden fix it up and balanced no problem.

jeller

^ I suppose thats a possibility. Can you feel any kind of slop in the driveline?

well its hard to say, with a 6 puck unsprung clutch lol i will say tho, that with that clutch, i know it shocks the hell out of the driveline so i wouldn’t doubt it. i’m switching back to a “normal” clutch in the very near future. maybe i’ll take the driveshaft over to fleet pride on walden while its out

don’t be a puss, stick it out with 6 puck

a normal clutch might not hold the maDD whp

i’m like a honda i don’t make any torque :lol:

nah, piston slap

why not just assume it’s a problem with the driveshaft…it’s a good excuse to buy a lightweight one, and if it doesnt fix the problem…keep searching, oh well…at least you have a lighter drivetrain now :gotme:

edit: and besides, it’s not like driveshafts are that expensive…

yea but its not like my stock one is that heavy anyways lol alot of stuff on that car were made of aluminum to save weight from the factory :stuck_out_tongue: i might get one anyways tho, just because it coudln’t hurt to have new joints on there

Noises like this are difficult to diagnose as there are soo many conditions in which it can exist.

As an educated guess based on what you have stated it would sound to me to be Differential. You did say that you had the internals replaced, did they replace the entire unit or rebuild the rear end? Perhaps if they got a used unit it too was bad. Secondly it is possible that they could have not set the rear end up correctly. The amount of special tools that exist for EACH and EVERY differential out there would blow your mind. It would be my best guess that if they rebuilt it they didnt set it up correctly. That and when you rebuild rear ends you need to break in the gears by running them at about 2500 rpm on jack stands with no load to help the teeth mesh. Premature wear can result if not done correctly. That is an old method of breaking in new gears I am not sure if it is still in use with newer cars as the majority of what I have had to deal with doesnt break rear diffs until you put some serious power down so I am not 100% sure as to the best method. I just know what works.