Driving at a safe speed ticket

So yesterday i open my mailbox only to get a sweet letter from the tarentum magistrates office. Enclosed was a citation for DRIVING AT A SAFE SPEED. In the notes it said i wasn’t driving safely under the conditions i was in. Early this month i was involved in an accident on the tarentum bridge where i slid into a car that was off the bridge at the red light. I was still on the bridge when i hit my brakes to slow down. They had only a dent on there back bumper of there grand prix where as the front of my Chrysler Sebring company car was f***ed. I was doing about 25 mph on the bridge and the speed limit was 35 so i dont understand this ticket. There wasnt any visible ice on the road and i was still doing ten miles under the speed limit because i dont like bridges that have on ramps on them. After we pulled off the road to exchange information a cop came like 4 minutes later. AAA was already called and everything was said and done. He asked us about the wreck, did a report , called a tow truck even though we called one already, and then left while we waited to be towed. 16 days later i get this citation in the mail. I wasnt told by him i was getting it and its a shocker. The Police officer didnt witness the accident and the guy i hit even said we didnt hit him hard at all. Im pleading not guilty and going to fight this. Has anyone else ever got a citation for driving at a safe speed. / end rant

Your going to jail for a long time, sorry…

ya I was given one a loooongg time again when we had a big snowstorm. there was like 8 inches on the road and nobody was out. I was coming down a hill at about 15mph slipping a little bit, all lights at the intersection were red and I went around a little bend in the road to continue up another. that part there was a yeild sign and there was a cop sitting on the other side of the insection, he went thru a red light and got up on my ass as soon as I merged. pulled me over and said I cut him off… :rofl: gave me one of those safe speed tickets, fought it, got it dropped, and the judge pretty much told the cop he was an idiot

so I say plead not guilty and tell them the truth. maybe even have the other guy you hit go with you or make a written statement?

BS, according to you you have had a ticket for EVERYTHING ever written in the PAHS manual:finger2:

:dunno: I hear cops toss that safe speed ticket around alot now a days

i got one when i totaled my jetta, that’s the one where that cock officer otto drew on a board that i had 120 feet of skidmarks in the magestrate, ultimately me losing the case. First of all, it was raining and i was run off the road into the mud before i hit the hill side, there were no skidmarks. Second, The point where i left the road, then across the road over the embankment where my car came to a rest was NOT EVEN 120 feet. So just have all your shit together and make sure they can’t pull the shit they pulled on me.

Sounds like ol’ Johnny Law was bored. I have never had one of those, but it sounds like “disobeying traffic control devices”, which can be interperated many different ways. The way you describe the accedent though sounds like there wasn’t much speed involved. I’d fight it. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I got the same ticket when I rear-ended someone who had cut me off at the last second. The cop told me that if you rear-end someone it is automatically your fault and you recieve a citation for “failing to control your speed/failing to drive at a safe speed.” You can try to fight the ticket, but it is unlikely that you would win. Sorry man. :frowning:

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16u0wwCfoJ4”]YouTube - The Clash - I Fought The Law[/ame]

Don’t worry about it. Plead not guilty. Be straight with the judge and I’m sure you will be fine.

I hope i win. Its bs if i dont. I guess if your on black ice you should be able to magically stop at any given time… If i was doing 3 mph i would of still hit him. Nonetheless ive been googling DRIVING AT A SAFE SPEED and apparently alot of people in pennsylvania get it and dont even fight it. So i hope just the fact that i show up that they will drop it. With my luck i highly doubt it and i will have to go in front of the magistrate. At least i have my coworker as a witness so maybe that will help alittle bit.

i think the ticket is really Failure to drive at a safe speed or for the conditions. in sure its standard procedure for them to write a ticket regardless. sorta like when u go into a chain auto repair and they try to sell you whatever they have for the mileage of ur car (ie: coolant flush, tranny flush, etc)

all i can do is laugh! lol

i got pulled one time doing 17 over in a total down pour. my story is kinda similar, except for the safe part