Driving on terrible roads

Now that the snow is starting to clear up I’ve been noticing a lot of bad roads, especially in Hamilton. I have my stock suspension (although with 18s on right now) and it’s bumpy as fuck… I’m almost cringing in certain areas it’s so bad. Now if my car were slammed it would be even worse…

I know winter does that to roads over time but sometimes it’s just so bad… It may have something to do with my new wheels though, since I was always used to the stock 16s, but I’m really feeling the bumpiness and bad roads now.

How’s it going for those of you who have slammed 240s that are on the road now, or how are the roads everyone is driving on either way?

Roads are horrible. Sooooo many broken/fallen stop signs.

Try driving in some places downtown. Freaking horrid, and I was in an SUV.

Just get coilovers, makes driving over bumps sooo much funner :slight_smile:

Yeah, downtown is where it’s the worst, and a whole bunch of other roads in the vicinity. There’s so much dirt and debris on the road too… I always hear the constant sound of dirt/stones being picked up by my tires and being thrown at the inside of the wheel well… hate that sound and it’s so loud.

^^ To make it worse, your rolling on Z wheels.

Whenever i drive, i tend to avoid the shoulder lane, and stay as far away as possible from other motorists directly ahead (water and shit flying everywhere), and the gutters.

But then again, it makes common sense. After all of this snow we had, there was bound to be some form of debri/garbage/stop signs and dead bodies found after it melted.

I just hope the city gets off of its ass, and cleans it up.

I have to swerve around chunks of missing road. It’s ridiculous. Like a 6" deep hole 2 ft. long and like 1.5 ft. wide. I don’t know HOW you guys with lowered stiff suspensioned cars manage! I cringe everytime I’m about to hit a bump (if I can’t avoid it)…with stock suspension and 4x4 ride height lol.

^^^lol, i have the same problem. Even in a van those holes/cracks make me jump up and down from my seat but i do try to avoid them, and sometimes there is so much of them that i have no choice but to go over them…I dont even want to know how guys with slammed cars drive on the roads like that.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. So many missing pieces of asphalt and downslopes from sewers and stuff that you try to avoid if you can. I do my best but sometimes you really can’t do much in certain situations or turn safely in time. I feel like I’m hurting my car driving on roads like that…

^^you just have to start memorizing roads around this time until the end of spring so you know what routes to take come summertime :smiley:

sometimes you have may have to take a small detour to get somewhere but if it’ll save your coilovers it’s worth it to me. as sad as it sounds, i can probably give you lane-specific directions to anywhere around the areas i normally drive in.

ya the roads in hamilton are pretty bad, especially with all the snow leftovers and potholes. driving a s13 hatchback on coils on 16’s and its pretty bad to get around. don’t drive it much for that reason. your best bet is like kimmerkaze said. memorize other routes so you can avoid the ugly roads. it’ll take you almost the same time anyway because bad roads have you slowing down more, avoiding more holes, totally stopping sometimes, etc. and smoother roads are pretty straight forward and just driving. take smoother roads and watch out for speed bumps if you deicde to go low.

u all gota live in msisissauga. coilover heaven. most the roads are beautiful. unless you drive to the edges of the city. always roads being repaved here.

word

City of Vaughan - not bad :slight_smile:

Highway 7… needs some restructuring come spring\summer!

True lol. I actually do live in Mississauga too. There’s just construction after construction here… some roads are seemingly always being repaved. Construction contractors workers need their money apparently. The roads here are a lot better than Hamilton though, that’s for sure.

Even in Oakville it’s like that too. Repaving the roads all the time. They just completely redid that whole section of the QEW/403 by Oakville Nissan. Took them long enough and they kept ruining it further after paving but it’s all right now I think (I drive through there all the time, including last night, but I can’t remember how smooth it is now).

meh u gotta roll with the punches. i drive around hamilton with my exh smashing off things bumper hitting things.

They have to do it over and over because they OVER slat that shit haha.
But yea, the roads in sauga are always being repaved.

vaughan is in a pretty bad shape as well, especially when you go north on bathurst.

u must be new to hamilton lol. i been drivin on hamilton roads dealin with this shit for the past 5 years. eventually u will just learn what roads to not go down, and how to keep an eye out for potholes. my s13 was pretty slammed last season and will be completly shit-canned this season as im now pretty confident i can get around without losin my oil pan.

if u plan on lowering your car, just take it easy for a few weeks, get a feel for the roads you take regularly, plan alternate route around streets thats are unbearable and be prepared to be a more technical driver. be prepared to change lanes alot more often and give yourself room from other drivers so u have the space to swerve oncoming potholes.

might sound a bit overwhelming right now but after a month or so of drivin slammed it’ll be second nature.

being a lazy (one lane driver) = no oil pan