driving through canada with studded tires..

i know that studded snow tires are banned in most of ontario since the 70’s, so i was just wondering what the consequences are of getting stopped there for having them. anybody have any personal experiences? i have NY plates/ID and will be driving through canada to get to michigan for the holidays in couple weeks. trip is about 4 1/2 hrs through canada, or 7 hrs to go around and through ohio to get there. whats the worse that can happen by driving through canada with studded tires? thanks in advance for any helpful replies

I don’t think you’ll have any problems, but could be wrong.

Go through ohio?

I don’t think you will have a problem…

they will confiscate your tires

i doubt that anyone will even notice. I’m guessing you’ll be on the thruway the entire time. Unless a cop pulls next to your car when you’re stopped to piss or at the bridge they’ll never know.

Then he’ll drive on the rims and do even more damage to the road.

^Reminds of an old ad that I always loved… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeBxtju52EY

1. Find a cop
  2. Do a burly burnout in front of said cop
  3. If you own a domestic with a V-8, don’t worry it’s cool
  4. Profit

they do make a bit more road noise than normal tires, so thats pretty much the only way they would be able to tell

burnout in front of a cop in my 00 integra gsr? might have a bit of trouble outrunning him on the highway… maybe in a couple years after i pay the car off and can fund my all motor build

The US route at most takes me 6 hours, but I have done it in 5 and a half now that the Toledo bridge project is done.
Through Canada it takes on average 4 and a half, but you can easily add another 30 to 45 mins for borders.

So either 60 extra miles or borders.
I drive through Canada about 90% of the time.

They look for MI or NY plates in CA to pull over just because they know you won’t fight the ticket.

I will be driving through the states to get to Buffalo around Christmas because I don’t want the hassle at the border.

why even run studded snow tires? they actualyl provide worse traction on ordinary roads, its like walking on golf spikes on pavement… unless you are driving on unplowed roads >50% of the time, i dont see why people run them…

i saw some woman @ dicks the other day with studded snow tires on the back of her old T-bird, and bald all seasons on the front…

after looking at mapquest, going the US route is an extra 125 miles one way

lol thats like sayin a 19 year old havin 2 drinks in canada then gets pulled over in the us and blows a .06 and gets a D Dub n his defence is i was drinkin in canada not in the us… it still doesnt matter… im guessin if its snowin the cop wont be able to see em… second i dont think he will care… but if the cop was anal im guessing he would write you

but it is a proven face that tires with a smaller footprint have better traction than tires with a bigger footprint … so that proves ur theory wrong

under what conditions… because which is best depends on the surface and if you are starting/stopping/lateral movement.

Dude unless you are driving like a dickhead they won’t even look twice at you. I’ve made that drive numerous times and rarely did I ever even see a cop.

Yeah thats close to right after looking at it again mine is about 100 miles

it’s getting across the border… might get lucky one way but might get boned on the way back. when you’re up there, it won’t be an issue if you do get in.

no one is going to say anything about your tires. why?

because canada just made it mandatory for people to run snow tires during winter seasons. that’s right…YOU HAVE TO RUN SNOW TIRES in the winter. No if’s, and’s or but’s…

they will be too busy looking for Canadian’s with all seasons.

The studs are easily pushed down by the weight of the car, making no difference in traction on dry roads.