Studding winter tires

how do you do it?

i think i might just put the studs into the winters that i have and stick them on my wife’s car to see how it works

these ones:

http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40704

is it as simple as going and buying some studs and sticking them in the tire???..lol

no experience with this.

sorry bing there illegal
only in the northern parts of canada and a smal amount of ontario arealoud these

yeah u cant run em. sorry mandingo
although u can try…i dont think theyll be out looking for studs

u can try the “spray” for the winter tires. suposedly spray liquid on tire surface all around and make it more grippy for the winter . i dunno lol saw it at ct.

or try those chains that wrap around ur tires.

i thought between January and April your were allowed to use studs?

this topic was brought up last year if you do a search im sure you can find it.

As for studding the tire…i have no idea.

They’re legal in N-Ontario, but not in S-Ontario, I believe Parry Sound is the cutoff… They’re not that great for the conditions you get down there either Bing. Mostly just good for packed snow/ice. You’re just as good with a great set of winters.

You can stud just about any tire though, so it’s technically doable, you just have to find a tire shop that’ll stud them for you.

You have to have a northern address for a shop to stud them or sell you studded tires. As far as I know anyways.
And chains are also illegal. As far as I know. At least that’s how it is here in Barrie.

I bought studdable tires and I don’t have a northern address so that’s not true.
Using studs or chain is only legal in northern Ontario. DJPryo might be right with the perry sound cut off. They are illegal because they damage the roads and throw up a lot of concrete dust when traffic is high which is hazardous to human health.
You can only stud a stud able tire when it is new, because once the tire has been driven on, dirt gets into the stud holes and the studs may not hold posing a danger of flying studs.
Stud able tires were popular back in the day and they only proved better in on ice braking, but now a day tire compounds are so advanced that a top of the line winter tire will outperform stud able tires.
The reason why I have them is because I’m in school in Thunder bay (northern Ontario). I bought them in Toronto. They are cheap, 350 a set and when they have studs perform awesome. They allow for dual purpose design. But they are noisy.

^Interesting… Here in Barrie, I’ve been told that you can’t buy them or even have them studded unless you have a northern address… But this is Barrie and it’s so f’ed up.

That’s probably just the mechanic not wanted to explain the whole situation, and just saying you can’t. I bought my stud able tires at ct tire in Toronto. Car is registered in Collingwood and they never asked about any of that.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Firestone&tiremodel=Winterforce

This is the tire im talking about, I highly recommend this tire for deep snow. These tires and some smart driving and you will have a pleasant winter driving experience. I did.

you can buy studdable tires anywhere no matter where you live

you cant actually put studs, or have a shop put studs in them, unless you meet the specific address requirements

a lot of studded tires cant hold their own when compared to the best of the best non-studded winter tires anyway… the lack of techology in most studdable tires doesn’t make up for the difference they provide over a non-studded tire.

this is just “in general” by the way… there ARE high end stubbable tires.

most of them though like a hakka4, hankook w300, general arctic alpin, firestone winterforce… all studdable but with or without studs they cant compare to a michelin X-Ice Xi2 or a high end blizzack in all-around performance

yeah i was just having a conversation with my dad and he told me about the address requirements.

shucks… woulda been neato.

just run them
even if you did get pulled over, the cops probably would not notice anyhow.

…this coming from the guy who just payed a $150 ticket yesterday…