drunk driving question..

So a kid I grew up with is in some serious shit for his own stupidity.

He’s 23 years old, and this past week he got his 3rd DWI.

He got his first one when he was 17 years old.

Its his own fault, I personally think he should go to jail (and he may actually go to jail, who knows).

Anyways…

They took his NY license, and said he could apply for a conditional in 5 years, now he has to go to court and find out if he is going to jail or not.

So, the other night we were all having a few drinks (go figure), and one of my friends came up with an idea that probably won’t work, but may…

Can he just move out of state, and get an out of state license and just live out of state for a few years while he gets his life back together?

The kid lost everything, his job, etc, and he has nothing to lose.

He has some family in ohio that would take him in, and give him a job at the family business, roofing and laying down tar on roads.

You used to be able to do this. It will follow you now with all records being electronic now.

They will make you do all the classes, programs, and treatment out of state (assuming after three they are putting him into programs). It would be no different.

The only thing that happens, I may be wrong, is it will be considered a DUI in his new state. But that doesn’t change anything.

This is what I understand on the subject. I may not be 100% correct.

yea because if you jump town while facing criminal charges they just forget about it!!

he’s gotta do his time man. Unfortunatly, 3rd D Dub, he’s gonna easily do 60 days, if not 6months+.

If he skips town, the first time he “slips up” wherever he goes, the warrant will show up. He’ll be stuck in their jail for a few days, then be driven back to face his charges, where as now hes gonna do a 1-3 no questions asked.

unless hes a huge fucking pussy, tell him to suck it up and do his couple of months in county. its not even bad… its like camp for criminals. Not to mention the ridicule he will probably face for being a bitch and running away from a TINY little bid in county.

EDIT: if he skips town, they won’t let him do his time in county, he’ll get sent upstate. THAT is where you don’t want to end up.

my friend got a dwi in maine while on an internship and still has a nys license :gotme:

and another friend got his 5th dwi a year ago or so, just finished up his 6 month weekends only jailtime, now for the 5 years of probation :tup:

ineedacar-

I don’t think the OP meant to flee charges.

Just move out of state after all his obligations here to get a license back sooner out of state and not wait 5 years.

That’s how I read it. Maybe he can clarify.

He should be off the street for 10 yrs, no less. (tho he wont be)
He’s an idiot straight up and dosen’t deserve any freedom.
Any of those 3 times he could have killed innocent people.

100 times out of 100 times a Cab home costs probably about 3500 - 4500$ Less then 1 DWI.

not true, two of my friends have 3 dwi’s, and neither has done any time.

oh shit my bad if thats the case… it sounded to me like he was asking if his buddy could flee for a few years and it would be forgotten lol

lol i hope it’s not that.

no shit, who was their attorney? they probably got RAPED with fines, rehab, and probation though I assume…

how do you know soo much about this kind of shit, are you a cop?

Yeah, your totally right.

He’s not going to run from the law, he’s going to court to see what happens.

If he doesn’t go to jail, then he’s looking to pack up and move away.

chea

na those are the penalties for those crimes. 3rd dwi is a 3rd degree felony, and technically can do 2-10 in a state penn, but ive never seen anyone get more than a 1-3 for their third… it usually ends up 1 year state, 5 years probation

EDIT I was wrong you can only do 7 years for your 3rd

:word: i know 4 people who have had 3 dwi’s and none of them have served any time. none of them lost their license for any longer than a year. but all paid for good lawyers, paid out the ass for fines, got a lengthy probation, went to rehab and counseling. so hes screwed, but with the right lawyer not totally screwed. shit my one buddy got caught driving the wrong way down the I-190 for his 3rd DWI and other than a whooping by the police he got off pretty easy.

not sure, but yeah it cost them both an arm and a leg.

funny how courts can put a price on your freedom :frowning:

wait so are you or not?

see:usertitle.

He needs to spend a lot of money on a VERY GOOD lawyer. That will keep him out of jail.
I would DEFINITELY move out of state. Every state has VERY different laws concerning every subject. NY is fucking stupid about a lot of things. He may very well be able to get a license in another state and not all records follow you around.

Seriously? Ugh…

He really deserves to be in jail and no license for a long long time