DSM Suggestions

I saw online some people flash their ECU’s and get the Keydiver chip or DSMchip? You can also reflash your ECU with an OPENPort 2.0 cable. Has anyone done this? Would anyone prefer this setup or dyno tune it with SAFC and EVOSCAN logger?

I don’t plan on buying DSMlink because it’s too expensive and don’t really know about tuning.

What size turbo / injectors are you using.

i believe you have to have a late 98 or 99 ecu to flash it. or you could try to get an EVO ecu. You can get dsmlink used if you look for like 450 ish which is well worth the extra money over an SAFC. And if you can get on the link forums/wiki it shows you how to set it up. I would probably use anything over the SAFC.

I would never use an AFC unless you burn a chip and just fine tune it with the AFC, but at that point it is not worth it anyway. What year and model car do you have?

As Mike Mack was getting to, anything over 650s is starting to push it on an AFC alone. The AFC really only “hacks” the airflow signal and modifies it so the ECU sees less airflow and in turn fires less fuel to compensate for the bigger injectors. This is a shitty solution because you will see increased timing maps associated with lower airflow levels.

I would do what Mike…Gombos said and get LINK. Unless you have the newer 2g ecu. I would flash it.

I don’t know anything about dsmlink either but with everything set at 0 the car still made 665whp lol.

I can get a logger for 100 bux then will i be able to see what it’s doing when tuning with AFC because I already have it hooked up in my car.

[QUOTE=BigMack_Srt8;]What size turbo / injectors are you using.

550 and 50trims turbo

[QUOTE=spoolinsteve;] I would never use an AFC unless you burn a chip and just fine tune it with the AFC, but at that point it is not worth it anyway. What year and model car do you have?

i got 97 GSX on dsmchips.com the guy said i can get a 98/99 ecu and flash it for the tune for my setup for 260 - 40(my core) =220

what program did you use to tune your car?

I’m still not sure which one lol, but i doubt link

Kurt is on LINK

yep hes on link. even with the logger and just an AFC you should still get a widband which is gonna cost you 200+. the stock narrowbands are worthless for tuning.

i have an AEM wideband, in that case it’s ok to go with logger and AFC? I’m thinkin either this or get a 98/99 and reflash it. DSMlink is not an option.

i mean if thats all your going for then i would say safc is fine For a decent tune with the chip. However if later on you actually want to get out of the high 12’s / 13’s and break 300 hp you might want to not waste your money on that now and get dsmlink. Its only around 400 used and is awesome for the money. 550’s seem a bit low for a 50 trim. Are you going to be running low boost? I would of went for 750’s.

DSMLINK V3, can’t be too cheap with these cars, they end of being a pile of eBay built queerness. As good as the new V3 is now it should be the first upgrade even before exhaust.

Bigmack, the reason i have 550 is because I used to have the 16G but motor blew, so after i got the stroker kit in and bigger turbo I just didn’t feel like getting new injectors plus I don’t have link

what boost should I run on a 50trim turbo if I have stock tranny?

15 to 20psi. Im not well versed on the 50 trim but i would think you would be running out of fuel at 20+ unless your tune is awesome. Cbre (Curt) would know.

999 psi

550s are junk unless you are blessed by Curt Brown so you can run 9s on 650s and a VPC

Hard to say XXX psi, that is why you need the ability to read injector duty.

Pressure has nothing to do with it. I will say this, my stock transmission held up to 25psi on a PTE 50 trim however the car was untuned it would have made a good bit more power at that psi level had I leaned it out a bit, this is also on the 8.7:1 stock 1g compression, if you’re in a 2g compression you’ll make more power than I did at that pressure level. STock trans 2g 3rd gear won’t take much more than 400. I would suggest switching to the Diaqueen gear oil in the trans as well if you start aproacting those kinds of power levels.

Agreed. And tuning is the LAST place you would want to cheap out. Why build a motor and spend money on a ton of mods that you cannot take advantage of because the only thing you have control over is fuel (especially with the limited control of an SAFC)?

Would anyone recommend DSMLink V2.5?