dsm ?

i bought a 90 tsi when i drive it down the road builds 14 psi but woulnt go past 4k take the recirculation line off the bov spools 7 psi and with tach out good but either way the manifold and turbo start to glow red and check engine light is on and says manifold has to much pressure on it any have any idea what this would be?

keep the recirc line on. venting is dumb unless you have a maft or some type of tuning. What mods are all done to it? Most common problems are boost leaks. First thing i would do is boost leak test the car. vfaq.com or dsmtuners.com has most of the answers you are looking for when it comes to dsm’s.

I do not have any idea what this dude just said… besides the recirc line is off and the turbo glows red.

There are 5 problems:

1. he has a CEL for high manifold pressure
  2. with the recirc line on, he spools to 14psi but won’t go past 4k
  3. with the line off he spools 7psi and can “tach out” normally
  4. in either case his manifold and turbo are also glowing red
  5. it’s a DSM

ill say it again. Boost leak testing is your friend . Do it.

No he “assumes” he has a CEL for high manifold pressure.
And “assumes” because such a code does not exist on this car for that.

He needs to boost leak test the car as mentioned.

The best part is by taking off the recirc tube the intake now just sucks in a ton of unmetered air around the MAF. Which means the next post you will see will be ‘why is my piston in my oil pan?’ :doh:

Stuttering and heavy break up is normally caused by an overly rich condition. Which 90% of the time is a boost leak. Yes typical DSM. Guilty.
But the fact it needs the ‘new owner mod’ is not its fault.

Boost leak check for sure, you cannot overlook that test and expect the car to run properly.

How old is your CAT?

yea defiantly sounds like a boost leak to me, and he’s right no CEL for high manifold pressure or anything like that, go to lowes and make yourself a boost leak tester outta some fittings there , more then likely the bov is leaking, TB seals are gone, hole in the stock SMIC…just a few i’ve experienced in the past