Dubai - Would you move there for work?

lol oh man, honestly cant remember it word for word. I am also out of here for the weekend

YOU’RE OUT WHERE, YEAMABU???

Nope, no way.

To even consider I’d need to be making WELL in to the 6 figures. And then 5 years? Maybe if it was 1 yr renewable etc.

Besides, the latest reports are that Dubai can’t support its own growth, and has more debt from building failures like the world islands than it makes. Not to mention that it is overrun with criminals.

I’ll pass.

a five year contract only secures your job with them for 5 years…

nothing says you can’t quit.

Meh, there are smarter moves, financially, but that is pretty bad ass. I want to visit Dubai someday.

You suck. Mine is better. Go eat a sandwich

That’s the thing, I got a call from someone at LARGE engineering firm about a position there, talking to them about everything and the Financial compensation. The projects are large enough where it would be a great stepping stone once I come back. I just want to see if someone can say something about a reason not to that would click with me.

The family thing is not that big of a thing, I already like 1000 or so miles from all of my family.

Custom title ftw.

Opening a Mighty?

You bet your ass I would!

Sure it does, esp. if they pay to relocate you and give you extra compensation (bonus, etc) based on the acceptance of the position.

While most people think of Dubair from what you see on TV, the reality is that most of the area is depressingly poor. I have a friend that has worked over there for extended periods (3-4 weeks at a pop) and they declined an offer to move there. :shrug:

If it was lucrative enough it may be worth the sacrafice of living somewhere odd to cash in.

Plus, it would def. be a neat experience.

Someone else posted in another Dubai thread that they keep all of the poor, miles away from the city, that there were no bad neighborhoods, and all of the people making the working class wages were brought in every day…

Everything has a price tag. If the money was substantial enough I would.

knowing you, you’d piss someone off at some time, and that would not be good.

If it were me, I’d consider it if the experience gained and compensation were enough to give me time to spend with my family upon return.

This being said, if you do go, I’ll babysit the impala while you are gone… or the ///M. your choice.

Im sure it would be fun for awhile, but what happens when you get sick of the place

It would have to be for A LOT of money. Otherwise, id just stay here.

Do it thom so I have a place to stay.

he might face some financial penalties, but nothing stops him from walking out the door… it’s not indentured servitude.

I would personally do it as long as the money and experience potential is there. If you have nothing holding you down and if you are able to addapt to change (learn a new lenguage perhaps) and addapt to a new culture than go for it. Honestly your first year will probably be the hardest, but as long as you survive tha i think you will be ok. If you go reading up on sites about people from the US moving abroad and suffering from “culture shock” dont get discouraged. Probably 90% of them are idiots and deppendant heavily on their home environment and shouldnt have moved in the first place.

Ultimately though man think about yoursellf and your future and what you would like to accomplish, and if you think you can handle it. After that i think you will have your decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide

i’d probably do it for 2 or 3 years if it was sick money. also, if they don’t have hockey there I def would not go. need a way to stay in shape and something to blow money. it would suck to have a shitload of money and nothing to spend it on; i’d probably start doing a ton of coke haha