Job offer

I’d like to get all your guys advice on this:

I got a phone call last night from a close family friend of my parents last night (i’ve known him all my life, call him uncle). And the company he works for is looking to hire engineers immediately and are paying out the ass for them, sounds good but here’s the catch:

The job is in New Mexico to supervise the development of a town. I would have to fly out immediately and live in basically a trailer out in the middle of nowhere desert for a minimum of 1 year while the power plant is constructed. After that my contract is renewable for an additional 4 years to supervise the development of the town around the power plant, I would be given one of the 1st home to live in while i’m there. But it would be 5 years of my life, i’m turning 26 next month, in the middle of nowhere. I’m not sure where in NM it is yet so i dont know what its near, just that its some pretty severe isolation.

From what he could tell me they would offer 100k/yr to start but its very negotiable for more, especially based on who would be referring me for the job. Since housing would be provided i would be able to pay off all my debt in no time at all and make some serious $$ for my future.

Bad side is, my g/f wouldn’t be able to come for at least the 1st year. We did long distance for 1 year before but it was very stressful on the relationship but this kind of $$ would basically secure a stable future for us. We just hit our 3yr mark last weekend.

I have to call my “uncle” back by tonite to let him know if i want an interview or not.

Yikes. That would be an absolutely outstanding career move, but what a sacrifice… Good luck with your decision…

love does not keep the bill collectors away.

if you make that much more money, you could have more frequent visits?

I would do it, but that’s just me.

I don’t think you realize how amazing this will pave the road for the rest of your life…

At the same time, I must kinda ask why your g/f can’t come out for a year?

but can money replace love?

i would be very very hard to take time off to visit, its a rapid development so i would have to be there all the time incase problems arise. Thats why i’d be in a trailer on site for the 1st year.

Are you planning on marrying this girl?

My uncle told me that no family would be allowed on site until the power plant is up and running, so she would have to be living somewhere else in New Mexico by herself and i don’t know when i would have time off to be with her. She also has to come back to buffalo next spring to finish one semester of school to graduate.

yes, $$ is already being saved for a ring

How’s the job scene for you otherwise?

My brother was offered an engineering job in NM, but turned it down b/c there was nothing else there.

Money is important, but so is your family and future family…

I would do it without question you’ll have a massive leg up when you’re 31

This is way too good of an opportunity to pass up

go for it :tup:

slightly O/T, is this for a nuclear power plant? A friend of mines father was telling me that he was interviewing for a job in NM at a nuclear facility being built. small world if it is

If you are making $100k a year + then airline tickets aren’t that expensive anymore.

im doing well where i am now and the company i work for has the potential for advancement. I get offers frequently from everywhere so something better may come along.

In 4 yrs i can take my licensing exam and once i pass that my potential salary should be around 100k, taking this job would just be a jump start on making that kind of $$

i wouldn’t be able to leave, its a 7day/wk job.

it could be, but that whole area is exploding right now with development. Pheonix is huge right now, i could move there in a heartbeat if i wanted.

You seem to have quite a dillema. It all depends where your priorities are. Does the 1-yr away from your girl mean you may grow apart? or make you guys stronger? Is your contract 100% renewable? I was in the same situation last year. I got a job offer with IBM Global Services starting pay was 125k. The location was in Southern Cal and this meant moving out there, working long hours. I was not prepared to leave everything behind including family. Cost of living is also high. Tough call on what you will do but good luck with whatever you decide.

money>love

You’ll have a massive leg up financially, but potentially 31 with no friends and no girl in a desolate town in New Mexico.

Well, maybe not necessarily that bad but it’s a possibility. Just playing devil’s advocate.

A lot of people would jump at this as the opportunity of a lifetime. I PERSONALLY would not do this. I’m doing alright here with good future potential, so while a job like that would really catapault me financially in my career it wouldn’t be worth it. It’s not like you’re just giving up home, it “seems” like it’s going to be a pretty high stress and unpleasant 1-5 years.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t. This is too personal of a decision. I’m just saying what I would do if I was given that opportunity. I’m paying the bills here, I’ve got good future potential, and I’m happy with my woman and friends. So the career opportunity wouldn’t be worth it to me.

If things are looking bleak for you, this could be the opportunity of a lifetime to go from a life of middle class struggling to upper class comfort. :gotme:

I dunno. Just vomiting thoughts onto the keyboard.

For me: no. For you: maybe? Do you think your relationship could survive the job? If no, would you do it anyways? If no, is it worth the risk to attempt?