Job Advice

Currently I am a project manager/ estimator for a specialty contractor and Ive been doing this for about 5 years and worked my way up in this small business. Recently some things have changed and I have started to look for something new, something with less BS, Stress, etc.

Currently I have the opportunity to interview for a company that’s out of Philadelphia PA and has some construction projects in the area for the next few years. I also have a little in since I know a guy who they hired here locally. Less work, less stress and more money.

Here is the kicker, They can offer a 3 year contract, no more but there is a possibility of more work locally down the road. The position is hourly vs my current salary (but the hrly rate is close to double what im making now) plus better benefits (phone, computer, travel expenses), they will not be opening up an office in NY and I have no desire to move to PA.

Im kind of torn on this, yes more money is nice but what happens after 3 years? Who knows where the construction industry will be and I could be screwed.

Whats everyone’s thoughts on this? I need an outside opinion.

If you hate where you work now, and can go make double the money for three years…DO IT. if in 3yrs if the new company can’t keep you in buffalo, they’ll either pay your travel expenses to work in PA all week, or you can shop for a new job again. by then you’ll have 8 yrs experience and hopefully two letters of reccomendation from the previous two employers…and money in the bank from 3yrs at a double salary

my $.02

^^^and you can give me your old job here

3 years is a long time to make connections/contacts and find other opportunities.

exactly. not to mention you are young, there is no sense wasting your time at a company you don’t enjoy working for. You’ve got nothing to lose by trying something new. That’s half the point of being young.

YOLO!

only two ways to get a better job…

What company are you with? or at least what division? I am also a PM / Estimator, and we have been looking for someone…

Well that easy :lol:

Thanks for the input, I just needed to hear an outside view. I’ve talked to a few people who have been through it and they said not to do it. In the next few years I plan to be in my next house so the job security thing was always important in my book

Reach down between your legs and grab a handful and tell me if they are big brave balls or mincey faggot balls. So job security is important but making double what you are now for the next three years is something to sneeze at? Why is this even a question? Who’s to say what the future holds with the company you are currently at? What if you pass on this and then in 2 years this place closes up and there you are, all moping around with no job now and you passed on this opprotunity.

I’d rather do a job I love for less money than a job I want to kill myself at for more money.

this is basically what it boils down to…don’t pass on what could be a gigantic opportunity to further your career…I’d have to guess you’re under 25, why settle so soon? you’re only a quarter of your way through life!

this is true…but to put this thread in perspective…he wants to go from a job he HATES for LESS money to a job he may very well LOVE for DOUBLE THE MONEY!

it’s really a no-brainer dude…when buying a house they only care about STEADY employment, not “x” number of years with the same employer. You’ll get into a house just fine man, just don’t be like 80% of americans and buy something that costs double what you reasonably can afford. When the bank says “we can pre-qualify you for a $100,000 House!!!” go buy a $70k house.

You were worried about finding another job after 3 years?

You made a post and 10 min later someone here posted their company was hiring the same position :lol:

Actually he is in a completely different field, and there are not too many of those jobs around here that I am aware of. It’s the same position in a sense, but it is completely different. There are so many different divisions of construction and you can’t just move from one trade to another overnight.

The other thing to think about is the hourly wage is double, but maybe they can’t guarantee at least 40 hrs a week. Some days you might just have to show up on a job site and leave after a couple hours. Any PM I have talked to is fed up with the stress and BS lol.

Seems like project manager/estimator would carry over between multiple fields with minimal training.

Maybe management, but not estimating. You really need to know the trade. I would say maybe 2-3 years of training to switch maybe… I do $3-5M estimates, and for that scale, you need to know what you are doing. I can’t make mistakes :frowning:

Wait, wait, wait. Hold the fucking phone. I just reread the first post. You’re asking whether or not to INTERVIEW for a job? Always go to interviews. Go find out more about it before you make your decision. You don’t have to take a job just because you get an offer, or if you’re sure you don’t want the job end the interview saying thanks but no thanks. At the very worst you spend a day learning about another company, networking with people in your field, and brushing up on your interview skills.

I shouldn’t be giving advice anyways I have been changing jobs every 2 years or less for the past 7 years.

Fry is right. Never turn down an interview. Come back to this thread with an offer letter in hand and we’ll talk.