Dyno tuning - loading the car.

Hi guys,

A question for all of those guys that have tuned and/or had their cars tuned on a dyno in the GTA.

When your car was tuned, was it done with a series of “full pulls / ramp runs” or did the tuner actually take the time to load each attainable cell and tune for peak TQ?

(ps - if you were tuned on a dynojet, no need to respond. Only guys that have been on Mustang, DynoDynamics, Dynapacks, Superflow, etc.)

I know fourstar tunes by loading the car but I really dont know if they do each cell. I doubt it though. Wouldnt it take a LONG time to do each cell?

Well, you don’t really tune “each” cell…you tune the attainable cells in order to understand what the motor is doing.

also, some cells are simply not safe to load. For example, I would not recomend loading and holding a car at 7,000 and 20psi.

lol… why not we use sr20dets they can’t blow up.

Ahh that makes more sense. Im not well versed in tuning so I dont know what Im talking about other than sitting beside the guys tuning the cars.

I would try calling some tuners to find out?

Nah - I don’t really need to talk to anyone.

I was just more interested to see what “tuning” actually meant around here… from a consumers persective.

PT - you still need some cars tested?

paul runs through the map rpm based trying to hold constant load and do 2-3 base tunes to get the map close

then he smoothes the map and does a fine tune after

i do that too, but maybe holding rpm constant with your dyno would be easier, pauls dyno couldnt do that

i usually smooth the map while i wait for the car to cool down and then once its smooth and the afrs are pretty constant i just adjust blocks by percentage to get afrs i want rather than doing one cell at a time?

hows your dyno working so far dan?

what i usually do is before i get to the dyno i go out with a trusted friend and let them drive the car on the street, we dont do any crazy top end pull its mainly for off boost tuning and some mid boost and going into load tuning.

once i got this set the car is set for street driving. once that is done i go to the dyno and i do 2-3 load runs just to give it a one over, after that i do top end pulls to get perfect afr’s and get the timing spot on for max hp with reliability.

word.

this is for street driven daily cars, a race car is a bit different as usually they dont stay below 3500rpm. unless your a diesel.

ODM - what dyno are you using to do this load testing?

Also, how do you validate that your street tuning actually got you to peak TQ in those street-driving cells?

You’ll see :cool:

We should have an efi101 class in ontario.

I’ve actually talked to EFI University about coming North.

And?

Yeah, that’d be really interesting.

Id we willing to take both classes and im sure robbbby here would too. Maybe we can make a list sorta like a group buy and have them come down?

I’ve taken both classes and would highly recomend them.

I’ll send another followup email and see what’s up.

Real men tune their own car by desoldering ROMS and manually flipping switches to set bits.

Its 2007 not 1997.

Fixed you typo Max :cool:

cheap? NRE, Romulator and wideband $750-1000…well i guess compared to the PFC it’s cheap…