e46 M3 vs viggen

Fuck shit up in the tranny?

Blanket statement er no. :rofl

ive heard a million stories of kids putting in “shortthrow” crap and eating syncros and what not. happens with the b&m kit for the KA’s alot. if by blanket statement you mean a opinionated statement without much hard evidence to back it up then ya. lol the point is fuck shortshifters. anyone who needs one is a rube.

:ohsnap

:gtfo…never had that problem and im sure if you ask a good majority of the peopl on this forum they have a short throw… nothing wrong with that… and im sure most of them havent had problems with them either

the problem exists. pop on nicoclub and give a search. and definately on vortex.

Idk, short throw shifters are really gay imo. There is zero need for one. Every car I’ve driven with a short shifter was un-enjoyable to drive…

x2.

The majority of “short shifters” on the market are not short shifters at all. All they do is take away the leverage that gives you a mechanical advantage when shifting. A true short shifter will actually make the throw needed to shift shorter, not just shorten the height of the lever.

well not only does shortening it do it because your shortening your side of the lever. they also just move the point of pivot higher up decreasing your mechanical advantage at double the rate cutting it down would. because not only are you shortening your side your lengthening the linkage side.

I’ve seen some designs that do that… so stupid

i disagree that short thows ruin transmissions, unless its installed improperly, or driven improperly. i’ve been running an active autowerke stage IV in my e36 since i bought it like 5 years ago, and have had zero issues. i’ve had the car on the road for a few winters as well. maybe in the honda or nissan world there is issues, but not in bimmerland.

the “mechanical” advantages are also tenfold in many cars. bottom line is if you drive a manual car your using the shifter non-stop. would you rather have a stock tall shifter with a ton of slop, that leaves you “rowing” to put the car in gear?

i personally love a tight feeling driveline, and a notchy, positive-feeling gearbox.

but hey, wtf do i know?

:rolleyes: exactly what i was trying to say…

clearly pete doesnt know what hes talking about . . what does he know:retardclap

Actually, I love my stock shifter/throw 10x better than any short throw/short shifter I’ve ever experienced…It’s very tight, notchy, and positive feeling. Feels like a hot knife going through butter & I think anyone that’s experienced the rsx 6 speed transmission they would agree 100%. I hate the feeling of every BMW tranny/shifter along with some VW and other Honda trannys/shifters I’ve experienced.

Yeah that’s because your stock shifter is 5 year old technology, some cars lack in the shifter department with parts that wear quickly and make the shifter feel like crap, what M cars have you driven? If they hadn’t had the shifter wear parts replaced within 20k miles i’d bet that shifter felt like crap, that’s why there are aftermarket shifters that use different materials that wear less and simply won’t get sloppy.

M cars? Pete did not say strictly M cars, it was BMW’s in general, but I have driven a couple M cars along with a E46 3 series, E36 3 series, a mid & late 90’s 5 series…Thought they were shit. I drove bfol’s 335, but that’s a BRAND new car so that doesn’t count, and even then I still think my tranmission/shifter is WAY smoother, more notchy, and better feeling.

Yeah the japanese are damn good at making shifters, the stock sti/evo/rsx/s2k shifter’s are awesometastic.

I’ll let you drive my car when I get it back out, you can feel the awesomeness of the tranny…and experience the sweet power:ninja:up

Short shifters have nothing to do with shifter feel… I would think that would be in the bushings and linkage/cables.

in my cars they have everything to do with it. look at the design. the relay rod is completely redesigned as well. the rear pivot point mounts to a bushing on the body of the car near the tunnel.

I have never heard such a retarded statement before

“Short throws fuck up trannys”

Seriously? Explain to me how?.. Take my transmission for example in my Z31… Which Seamus is the exact same transmission for a KA… Just different bell housings…

Well first off… Lets get this out of the way.

A “Short Throw Shifter” is a Shifter designed to shorten the throw of the shift… How far your shifter moves from 1 gear into the next not how tall the fuckin thing is…

Most Short throw shifters are not any taller/Shorter than stock shifter height, unless people chop them down or buy adjustable height ones.

People who chop down there stock shifters do nothing except the illusion that your throw is shorter due to the decreased distnace of hand movement… All your doing is making it harder to shift your car due to the lack of leverage…

All a “true” short throw shifter does is change the pivot point on the shifter… Everything still moves exactly them same inside the transmission… Still using the KA/Z31 tranny as an example… The shift linkage that the end of the shifter sits in still moves the same ammount as it would with a stock shifter… the only difference is now the pivot point on the shifter itself has changed to allow a shorter throw for you the driver to get it into gear and still having the comfortable leverage of the stock shifter…

THat all may sound a little garbled… but any jackass that has said their short throw shifter screwed up their transmission is an idiot and probably installed it wrong causing it to not fully engage into gear wearing out syncros