EGR & AIR pump

Should I get rid of them? Emissions isn’t an issue. I see no reason to keep the AIR pump and all its clutter.

But the EGR I’m still debating. Reduced NOx isn’t an issue for me. But supposedly the EGR system helps reduce knock by keeping the combustion chambers cooler (obviously only at partial throttle since EGR doesn’t operate at full throttle). But it sounds like it would only be an issue if you’re lugging the engine, which in an auto is hard to do anyway.

And doesn’t a “performance” cam with more valve overlap cause the same cooling effect as the EGR system?

Since my EGR valve is suspect, I’m leaning towards dumping it since it’s cheaper. 3 blockoff plates, a vacuum cap on the intake manifold, two plugs in the headers, and a reprogram should do it.

yes,yes, longtubes,yes,yes

Sigh… I know this would be the easiest time to do longtubes since the engine is on the stand. I just can’t spend the cash right now.

But if I did…

What do I do with the cat? Does it move back further or what? Or does it have to go?

cat??? whats that???

aiur pump egr what are those???

send it

I call BS on the EGR reducing knock, how can hot exhaust gases reduce combustion temps? The only thing I’ve heard about removing it is a slight drop in economy. That doesn’t sound like a problem though :wink:

Plus you’ll keep the top end so much cleaner without it. Think, no carbon build up.

My understanding is that since the EGR is fed exhuast gases, these gasses cant combust agian, and reduce knock.

Wether or not it cools the intake track idk, but i would think that hot exhuast gas would heat it up. But the EGR closes at WOT so its not really going to effect performance.

It doesn’t actually cool it, it reduces the amount of heat generated. Exhaust gases displace some of the air -> less combustion -> less heat -> less chance of detonation. But again, this only matters if, for example, you’re lugging the engine with light throttle in a high gear. WOT there’s no difference.

At least that’s how I understand it. :dunno:

:boink

I like to read a lot! :smiley:

hook the air pump into your intake and boost the car :slight_smile:

down with emissions