EGT Monitoring on Turbo Engines

http://dustin.jetstreamhosting.com/egt.jpg

Pre turbo EGT’s are taken at the base of the turbine housing
Post turbo EGT’s are taking 1" back from the turbo in the downpipe.
From what I know it is common practice for people to put there EGT probes in the downpipe.
According to this chart I found from what I believe to be a reputable source monitoring EGT’s POST turbo is as useless as a narrow band AFR gauge.

Discuss!

I would tap the exhaust manifold and run your probe pre turbo.

At idle, pre and post temps are close. But when you drop the hammer and your cylinder temps peak, you lose heat through the exhaust manifold and turbine housing before you reach post-turbo probe. The longer your cylinder temps stay high, the higher your pyro probe reading will get. Then when you back off, it will take much longer for the post-turbo probe reading to drop since the heat has to dissipate from the manifold and turbine. That’s why the post-turbo probes are good for reading safe shutdown temps, but they’re a compromise when watching for high temps when running hard.

EGT’s are ghey…they tell you nothing other than there’s some hot stuff in there…

Discuss.

I believe it’s a good investment , at least you know things are not melting in the engine while running
Assuming that your car was to run lean all the of the sudden, your EGT will start to rise dramatically , that’s a good assurance IMO.
than again, how many people look at gauges while boosting? by the time you realize the EGT is high , motor would have long been gone

imo, EGT’s are more important for diesel and really high performance gas engines than your average motor with a turbo…

when ever I install a Egt I put it on the runner that has the last injector… Or in other words the leanest cylinder. I find that works well and it will always be the hottest one of the bunch.

Before I got into the wide band thats what i used to tune… Mind you this was a few years ago lol… Now wide bands are cheap and easy to come by…

EGT can tell you this is happening.

Other than that I use mine to cool my turbo down to a certain temp before I turn it off. Pretty much all its good for.

Bahaha -

from what i know, the best place is in the manifold…i still dont know if its worth the effort though, but its for sure a nice tool to have.

For sure if you have the manifold off, tap/thread it while you can… if your not going to install a probe at that time… Fill it with a bolt.

Dan and Tom are right – EGTs are useless. Especially since the price of a wideband AF gauge is so cheap these days. Thats a gauge that will actually save you from melting a motor.