Wideband - Pyrometer

What’s the best place for both gauges.

Im thinking right before the turbo in the manifold. Although I also think after would be good.

Accuracy can not be much different on either sides for wide band. yet as for the pyrometer…

Any input.

Pyrometer, depends on if you want to measure temp after or before the turbo, and wideband is, I believe, 14-18" downstream of the turbo, so like maybe 6" up from the cat on the downpipe.

want to measure temp of turbo. basically like a “it’s cool to shut me off now” gauge

^ um, turbo timer? Oil temp gauge will tell you that better than EGT.

wideband right where the down pipe goes flat there is some space to do it pyro meter i would say just below the turbo on the down pipe or maybe a dump?

99% of setups have the wideband after the turbo…You want to know usually what the mixture is like after the turbo - in the manifold is more common for egt, but even that many ppl put after turbo.

varun

Wideband needs to go after the turbo…

EGT needs to go in the garbage…

turbo timer instead?

keep everything after the turbo, just in case something comes apart it wont fuck the turbo
my .02

good point^^^

I basically figured because the r32’s came with a egt warning light…maybe it’d be nice to have a gauge instead. useful in my eyes. can be used to better tune your car. lean it out to make more power but at a safe level. (so i’ve been told by old school drag racers.)

does the wide band have to be a certain length away from the turbo like DJPyro said?

best bet is???

egt won`t tell you how lean or rich your car is wideband will and again there is lots of space before the cat on a level part of the down pipe

Yes, and no.

When a car runs lean…the egt will be higher. Wideband is basically all you need. Yet with an egt, you can tune a little bit further. Higher temps (safely) make more power. Simply adding fuel, timing and boost…sometimes is not enough.

No I am not looking at making 1000hp or what have you. Simply that I have the gauge and probe already. Have a boost gauge and a wide band. All gifts from appreciative customers. Used of course, but they work. Pyrometer is more of a fill the third hole type of thing. Seemed like the best thing to go with besides oil temp.

And I am not a fan of turbo timers.

I’ll second that.

Ok, EGT is garbage…why?

You tune for air/fuel ratio, not exhaust temp.

15:1 AFR is NOT okay under boost, regardless of what an EGT gauge says.

Melting valves is NOT okay as well.

The purpose of installing a pyrometer is to gain information on your EGT (exhaust gas temperature). You want to prevent excessive heat that can cause catastrophic engine failure. The valves are of most concern and if they reach 1800ºF you can expect to be very concerned. This happens when the exhaust manifold temperature rises to ~1350ºF and most people will agree to a max limit of 1250ºF. Placing your probe into the exhaust manifold will yield the most consistent and immediate reflection of the temperature of the valves. The further away from the exhaust ports you get, the more heat can transfer away and the more variant the readings can get.

^^^Taken off of a diesel site. Yes I know diesel is different then gas. But not in this case.

No I am not trying to argue. Just stating my opinions and listening to yours.

I understand everyone’s point, but still they do not put mine down.

all a turbo timer does is allow your car to sit at idle for w/e time you put it to and allow for the engien and oil to cooler downand not f up your turbo so dont even tlak about those you can jsut let your car run for 2min when your done with it EGT is just a cluster fuck of the guage pods if oyu dont need dont put the effort into installing it adn your talking to a dyno guy (happy240sx) so id just take his advice.

^^^
Yes I know that. Only asking questions here bro. No need to get upset.

Juuuust asking. Only mentioned the pyrometer because I have one

oh im not upset sorry if i came out that way lol just sayin its not worth your effort to put in a egt youd be better selling it or trading for a guage more usefull to you ie fuel presure etc.,