Electrical Problems

Wee, my mustang (1990 5.0) will not start. When I put the key in I get the ding with the door open, but if I turn the key the dinging stops and I get nothing, when I try to turn on the lights or even open the gove box the same thing happens. Does anyone have any ideas what this may be??

I checked the fuses and it is such a birds nest of wires under the dash I don’t even know where to begin…ANy help is appreciated alot and I will gladly compensate…

Check the terminals

Sorry, forgot to add I checked the terminals…There was some miner corrosion but did not seem to be anything in the way…i cleaned them up and still the same issues.

If you have a multimeter test the battery if before start up it reads less than 11 volts get a new battery, if it reads around 12 have someone bump the starter and if it drops below 10 volts then your battery is almost dead.

Did you try having it jumped? Mine did the same thing when I ran the battery too long while I was working on the inside of my car and then when I tried to start it, it had no charge left.

if you get “nothing” not even a “click”, I would think the ignition itself is fubar.

If you get a “click” look at the starter.

I tried to jump it a few times that doesn’t seem to be it either…

Sell it to me

On all fords, they have an external starter selonoid. There should be a main battery cable going to it, a cable going to the starter, and a small red/blue wire going to the terminal in the middle.

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL - then apply 12v to the terminal that the red/blue is connected to. The engine should crank. If so, I would think there is an issue with the ign switch. Fords dinger has no connection to the ign switch (main switch on column). So it can ding, but there may a bad ign switch, which would keep it from starting, no heater fan, no radio, etc…

They did not put the transponder theft system in until 1994/1995 on Mustangs, so that is ruled out.

trying to fix it before i think of selling it, just don’t have the time/motivation to work on it…

I appreciate the input, I will give this a try for sure

or just use a screw driver for connection :slight_smile:

I’ll cosign the solenoid or a bad connection at the battery/solenoid…

Would anyone like to take a look at this?? I can have it towed to a shop no problem. I have cash but no time and not enough knowledge to look at it myself. (I havent even checked the solenoid yet)

Any ideas of a good place to take it?

Jay at domination or Jeff at 1st try

Jeff @ 1st Try