emission not needed?

hey guy i just got a 88 sentra i was wondering when it is when they dont need to be e-tested im ok right?since the car is 20 years old?

Ya you should be alright. From what I understand it’s only the year of the car. Not the production date or anything. Don’t quote me though and anybody correct me if I’m wrong.

i think its 20 years but im not positive

Oh ya its 20 for sure. I was actually talking to my buddies dad about that the other day. But then again the year might need to be over for it to work. Try calling your insurance company or any and ask.

1988 and up need to be e-tested last i checked.

they stopped going up with the 20 year old rule and it’s 1987-down that is exempt from now on.

your right On the money Simplemind7… the 88s and Up have to etest for life… Unless you have your address Up north of mount forest… Like me hehe…

They changed the law from 20 years old, to anything 87 and below, unfortunately. My coupe was built in 1988 and I just missed the boat!

yea man, thats so stupid they shoulda just let it go 20 yrs and behind, but isnt 88 when they kinda started using efi and stuff? that might be why, im totally unsure about this tho haha so somebody please correct me if you know

yes thats the main reason… In 88ish manufactures really started producing cars that were better for the enviroment. By on putting catalitic converters, fuel injection, and lots of other emission goodies…

Not to say that pre 88 didnt have all that stuff but I think there might have even been a law passed or somthing… Almost like OBD1 and OBD2 on 96…