EMISSIONS EXEMPT ?'s

ok so if the car has to be at least 20 years old to be exempt from emissions test what year does this start from?

people say 87 but isn’t it true that cars are made 1 year before their release?

for example now we have 2008 nissan maximas available

so would a 1988 car be exempt from emissions testing?

thanks appreciate the help (trying to buy a beater)

if u live way up north u are exempt too

so are 88 cars exempt?

Hmm good question. Maybe you should Google it?

I wonder if they go by actual build date or by model year.

i am pretty sure they go by build date.

peace

Actually now that I think about it I’mm 99.9% sure that it goes by model year.

That is what the car will be registered under. NOT the build date.

i have a 1987 volvo

i just registered it

no emissions here

i live in toronto too.

20 year rule is now gone.
if the car is 1987 or older it is exempt.
if the car is 1988 or newer it will still have to be emission tested from now on, even when the car gets to be over 20 years.

Key- buy cars pre 1988, my 84 ae86 won’t ever need a emmision test again.

yup i’m surprised most people don’t know this yet, but 87 was the last year to be exempted by the law, cars newer will never be exempted again.

It doesnt just go by model year either…

If you have an older car and put a new motor in (i.e. a pre-built gm or mopar or ford engine in your muscle car) and register it You must still have it emissions tested because the engine was built after 87.

so basically if anyone here is restoring a muscle car and planning on dropping in a new shiny crate motor you will have to have it tested if you want it to be 100% legal.

In that case you can get the vehicle tested as “hot rod” the allowances are almost double if i remember correctly. if the car was not offered in north america with that motor stock then it can be tested as hot rod. the car has to be pre 1999. ex. but a b16 in a integra or a sr in a 240sx, both were not offered in north america so you can get it tested as hot rod, not too many shops know how to do this but if you ask around you will eventually find one.

Why bother?

Just buy a diesel, run farm diesel all year long at 0.80/L in the winter and 0.70/L in summer.

Done

^^^ maybe its the fear of a massive fine why people don’t use farm diesel.^^^

peace

I was just gonna say that.

If they find out you’re running OTR diesel in your road vehicle, it’s retarded fines.